Putting on the kg over summer > back to the running

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive only been running a few times a week recently but usually go for about 10K+. I always carry water with me even if Im just going for a short run. Guess I just got use to that doin racing so much.

Will probably go out for runs just 2-3 days/week over the summer. Im hoping to swim about 4-5 days a week instead. Also, *hoping* to get a new mountain bike too so Id love to do some long rides in place of some runs.

Been swimming 3-4 days a week instead of running as much as I was over March-early May and roller blading some too.

Not everybody needs to carry water but one thing I would recommend as a good rule of thumb is to buy new running shoes at least every six months. The wear and tear of your shoes and breakdown can increase the chance of you getting injured. Just my 2 yen though \:\)

One more thing, aqua jogging is another great way to "run" without the impact during the hot summer months.

Yama, swimming 3-4 days a week sounds nice. I can only go swimming on Wednesdays and weekends now. I'm thinking of jumping in the ocean or outdoor swimming pool after riding every weekend this summer. It'll be fun!

*Once a year, regardless of milage, should be avoided if at all possible*

In Uni my school had a contract with Nike so used those for a while. Since coming to Japan Ive been using Asics and my newest pair is Mizuno...and I love em! Never bought a pair of Mizunos before but such a comfortable and lightweight shoe \:\)

However, buying shoes depends on your feet and whether you pronate, under-pronate, or have a neutral foot (which I belive are the terms used for how your foot hits the ground and roll in [pronate], stay neutral, or roll out[under pronate])

Best thing to do is to go to the running store kinda near the Outsider and bring your running shoes with you so they can see the wear and tear of your shoes' soles. Then, they could recommend a good pair of shoes to keep your feet anatomically correct.

If you can post a pic of your soles I can help too.

sorry, I thought I mentioned that before. You should get new running shoes at least every 6 months at the latest Orange. The wear and tear of running shoes can increase the chances of injury. So, to avoid that its recommended that you get em every 6 months.

I've been doing well with my weight recently actually. It's been a combination of cutting out beer, eating less in general and more salad/fruit. Easy peasy. I reckon about 6kg have come off in the last 8 weeks or so.

One of my friends bought me one of those hydration pack things you put in your back pack last year. I love it. Makes it so much easier to drink when running/hiking/skiing. I really hated having to stop and get water out of my bag.

I was pretty active during my summer vacation in California. I enjoyed kayaking and swimming in the New Melones lake and riding a bike on the Silverado trail between Calistoga and St.Helena in Napa valley. It's really nice to enjoy outdoor activities in California.

I enjoyed good American breakfast and Italian dinner with very nice wine everyday, too but I probably could keep my weight the same!

• 1 month later...

I think I need some new running shoes. My feet hurt like hell in the morning after a run. But I feel bad about throwing out running shoes that look nearly new (and they're not good for much else beyond running...)

Quote:
Originally posted by TheOrange:
Hey yamakashi, I got some new shoes over summer - Asics they are and feel really good. Nice and bouncy.
sweet Orange! Glad to hear that. You get em when you went back home (did you go back home to the states?) My lazy butt hasnt done much for over a month - a swim here and there and a run here and there...basically throwing frisbees and drinkin beer has been my only training...does nampa count?? \:D \:D
Fattwins says hes gonna push me and scare the $hit outta me this year up in Hakuba so better get off my butt and get into shape!!

明日から始まるわ!! \:o \:D