I have ADSL at the moment, and I'm a long way from the NTT building. When the mojo is working, stuff comes down the pipe at a decent speed, but when it ain't, I'm lucky if I can download my email.

So I wonder about cable Internet. Does anybody have it? Is it fast and stable? What speed do you have? Apparently installation costs 50,000 yen, so I don't want to get it if it's a dud.

Or maybe you have the special ADSL for people who don't live near the NTT building. What's that like?

I have been told that cable speed here is up & down depending on busy times etc. I also live a few km's from the NTT tower ( thank god, for the lack of radiation) but It really doesn't seem to affect my speeds as much as they advertise. ( i checked download speeds on friends who lives within 1km)

Not that that helps you.

My buddy uses cable and he doesnt go any faster than my Yahoo at 8mhps. I to live far from the so called hub. I want to upgrade to something faster but Yahoo said that was not possible at this time. My Kazza lite is pretty good running about 20 average Winmx when it finds a local file flys at 120 or more. My little PC cant take as much as I want to download I always have to make cds.

yeah my mate used to have cable but it was slow and unreliable (he said). so he changed to ADSL and has been a happy little downloader ever since.

Im just over 1km away from the nearest exchange and my dl speeds are inconsistent. somedays are quite slow, 50-60kbps, but sometimes they judst fly along. One day I downloaded a 650mb cd in 15mins. unfortunately that isnt the norm \:\(

Thanks for the responses.

The nice little retired guys in suits they send around to flog these services don't have a clue about what they're selling and point to the figures on the brochures with great satisfaction, but what you get is nothing like that.

The cable service offers to put in your installation at great cost and then promises that they will take no responsibility whatsoever for quality of service. That's the aspect of it that I find hard to swallow...

My service is nice and fast today. Maybe it's best to stick with ADSL and hope the infrastructure improves over time.

:rolleyes:

-----

Quote:
You must not moan about your "slow connections" over there in Japan
Now that is one good thing about being back in Japan clap.gif

actally a slow connection is isdn 56k (if I'm lucky). NTT says there are not subscribers in the area.........Living in a town with an 800 (odd) room hotel and an international rock festival attracting over 35,000 people (and the organiser wants to stream live to the net) doesn't help....... confused.gif

Anyone know what Australian internet speeds are like ??

hey stripper,

not sure if you're in the Yuzawa/Naeba area, but a real estate dude we talked to there yesterday said it's real easy to get ADSL access in Yuzawa. Also he said NTT just started ADSL access in the Naeba area last month, so might be worth checking it out...

Quote:
Originally posted by stripper on coke:

actally a slow connection is isdn 56k (if I'm lucky). NTT says there are not subscribers in the area.........Living in a town with an 800 (odd) room hotel and an international rock festival attracting over 35,000 people (and the organiser wants to stream live to the net) doesn't help....... confused.gif

Anyone know what Australian internet speeds are like ??