I don't watch any Korean dramas, but I think all this was kicked off by that drama on NHK that was popular with middle aged ladies since it was an old-fashioned "natsukashii" boy-girl story, instead of the incest-rape-love triangle-platonic sex-"doro doro" you get in Japanese dramas now. It's this sweet innocent gentleman idea that's big with the ladies, I think, not how any particular actor looks. During the 2002 World Cup, most Japanese seemed relieved when Korea finally lost, and none of my wife's friends had a good word for the Korean players, the permed glamour boy from Perugia excepted. Given how Japanese women generally like footballers, I think this says something.

I did see a thing where a couple of Japanese ladies who were dating Koreans said Korean blokes were more expressive than Japanese men (which can't be difficult), but you've got to remember that Korean blokes religiously pay for everything on dates and shower their ladies with flowers to mark various anniversaries. This is probably too formularized to be romantic to some of you people on here, and is certainly one in the eye to those who see Japanese women as some egality-seeking progressive force.

Korean food is pretty good, though you'd soon get sick of it every day.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Oh deary me. I don't know if thats the same one or not, but I saw some show opening up on the morning news yesterday some Kankokuboom shop. There was this line of ladies waiting for the thing to open. They did look and sound rather pathetic.

All looks a bit Beatlesesque to me - AKA Sgt. Peppers and John Lennon.

No idea of the music though - is it plastic soft pop or something with a bit of a kick?

Agree with Charlotte - they all look rather girly.

Fads pass ...