I'm downloading outkast, it will essentially be my first try at rap and that kind of thing something I've always avoided until now. I wonder if I'll like it.

Tell me, are lyrics a major part of the appeal of rap??

Download "For Women" by Talib Kweli.

Now.

Yes, lyics are a HUGE part. Anyone can make some words rhyme, but can they do it with style and finesse? Can you tell a story or verbally fight with someone else and make it sound interesting?

My girlfriend is a poet, and had a pretty low estimation of rap. And I can't blame her or anyone else, if all they are exposed to the songs designed to appeal to the top forty buisness. But search a little underneath, and there is gold. I had her listen to my stuff, and she loves it now. She has a real appreaciation for the wordplay. And if all the violence and thuggery and sexism does't appeal to you, don't worry. That is only a part of it. There are lots of artists who aren't down with it either. Check out almost anything from '92 to '96.

Some of my favorites

K-Os

KRS-One,

the Pharcyde,

A Tribe Called Quest

Talib Kweli

Sage Francis

and the amazing (and slept-on) Digital Underground!

'I rose/ Wipin' the blunt's ash from my clothes/

And froze/ Only to blow the herb's smoke through my nose'

Nas

Quote:
Originally posted by Oyuki kigan:
And I can't blame her or anyone else, if all they are exposed to the songs designed to appeal to the top forty buisness.
Many white people have a tendency (lets just call it ignorance) to look down on black music. As has been well documented, a good deal of white music is a pastiche or bastardization of black music. The so-called "King" Elvis Presley for starters.

White music in the Top 40 is of course lyrically very poor too.

The greatest lyricist of rap music (and music as a whole over the last twenty years) is Chuck D of Public Enemy. On the pedestal with PE, I'd put proto rappers like the Last Poets and Gil Scott Heron. Of contemporary artists, Mos and Common have the most to say, but Andre 3000 is the coolest. He's quite inconsistent, but Lyrics Born has the most unique style. The Latryx album is top drawer.

Mr Wiggles,

On the concious tip, I should also have added DIGABLE PLANETS. Blowout Comb is a masterpiece.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE DAMN LYRICS?!?

'These cats drink champane/

And toast death and pain/

Like slaves on a ship talkin' 'bout who got the flyest chains'

-Talib Kweli

"I ain't ever did a crime I ain't had to do."

"Does heaven gotta ghetto?"

-Tupac Shakur

Someone above mentioned Digital Underground. I'm a big fan but a classic lyric hasn't come to mind. Someone also mentioned PE. Chuck D's got a plethora of quotable lyrics but it's hard to choose which.

Anybody remember professor Griff? I like some of his stuff but don't know what happened to him.

Do ya'll consider Speech or Arrested Development rap or R&B?

If it's Digital Underground, the popular choice is likely

"I once got busy in a Burger King bathroom"

\:D

But as for me, I am partial to booty rap. 2 Live Crew, Luke, 12 Gauge, etc.

Lookit that donkey butt and them big ol legs

I ain't too proud to beg

Get on my knees and break it down like James

Please, please

Lemme ride that donkey donkey!

I liked Prince many many years ago. I don't listen to him anymore. However, when I was in highschool I visited my cousins in Edina, Minnesota, We drove by Prince's house. It was a (I'm not kidding) big purple, pretty tastefull looking place. Any baseball fans out there, he lives pretty close to Kirby Pucket's place.

That's a nice bit of theology there. I've thought pretty much the same thing - it's good to see it put into words.

Slightly off topic, but the award for the best orgasmic hip-hop grunt goes to Lauryn Hill on Santana's "Do You Like the Way". She does her rapping, Santana plays a solo and just before Cee-Lo kicks in, Lauryn does this ecstactic 'hip-hop grunt'. You gotta listen for it, but if Carlos played another bar, I reckon the music world would have had its first certifiable hip-hop orgasm.