I watch about the earthquake on tv and wonder how terrible it would really be if something like this happen in Tokyo, Say same time 6pm Sat evening or weekday evening. It's really scary. I can't stop thinking about it \:\(

Quote:
Originally posted by echineko:
I watch about the earthquake on tv and wonder how terrible it would really be if something like this happen in Tokyo, Say same time 6pm Sat evening or weekday evening. It's really scary. I can't stop thinking about it \:\(
If Australia... no more!

my thinking is...if it happens it happens. you cant worry about "what ifs and maybes" you just get on with life. I agree that an earthquake in Tokyo would be bad but what can you do about it?????? Nothing. So apart from preparing yourself as much as possible by making emergency kits etc there is little you can do.

if that sounds depressing or fatalistic I apologise. I just got home from a big night of drinking and.........

It's not IF folks, it's definitely when. And it is going to be disastrous. Improper,ignored and quite often non-existant building codes, lazy beauracrats and constituants, an aging population, and an already nearly bankrupt insurance and banking industry won't be of much help. The next big shock will undoubtedly carry a heavy casualty rate and tremendous domestic financial burden. The costs, will undoubtedly be felt way beyond the shores of Tokyo Bay.

So what can you do? Well, try moving for starters! You don't have to just 'ride it out.' Get the **** out a Dodge. If you must stay learn the proper exit routs, get aquainted with your local authorities, load up on life insurance and send your wife/kids out of the country...hell I dunno, (my solution was to just move out of Tokyo).

Anyone got some safety idea's? Let's safety!

NankaiFault.jpg

you only have to check out this image of the Nankai fault to see where the northern tip of it splays. Tokyo in hindsight is not the most suitable place to have the worlds largest urban area.

Be prepared with a well stocked emergency kit and try to live in a sekisui* house

*A rather pricey house but engineered to resist earthquakes. No sekisui houses in Kobe fell down in 1995, so they must be alright.

...and let's not forget Tokyo is the nation's capital. Not only do nearly every J-corp's headquarters and foreign embassy's exist in Tokyo, but so does the national govt. And in Japan, the nat'l govt is pretty much the ONLY govt. The prefectures are powerless without Tokyo.

I get the shivers just thinking about it. Was this area of Niigata generally thought of as a place this might happen? Or did it really 'just happen' without any warnings or anything? Scary.

It's terrible, but I'll admit it. After spending just a few minutes confirming that I will get out of Tokyo within the next year and live in the country with my wife and new baby, I started to think whether there are any ways I can get rich off earthquakes.

You know, anything from selling earthquake kits to clever investment schemes in damaged properties.

Terrible, really terrible of me to try to take advantage of disasters and their victims...who could just as easily be me or my family.

But still...it beats thinking about my current job or how to start up that Internet port site that is going to help me with early retirement.