Amnesty Benefit Concert Nov 14th

There's going to be a benefit for Amnesty at What the Dickens in Ebisu on Nov 14th.

I'll be in the band, playing KBs and doing some singing, there's going to be a bunch of other singers, too. Doing dance music - mainly older rock/pop/and some disco hits. (I imagine most people on this board won't stomache the disco hits ;\) ) Of course me being in the band might put off a lot of people too, heh heh heh... but if you come down make sure you come up and say hi. I'll be the gaijin on the keyboards, (there's another woman KB player too, but she's Asian, so you should be able to figure out which one's me).

I'm not sure whether I'll make the concert, but good luck with it anyway.

As for disco numbers, some of the Salsoul and West End Records tunes are great. It's the stuff Larry Levan used to play at the Paradise Garage. On the commercial tip, Rodgers/Edwards (Chic/Sister Sledge/Diana Ross) wrote loads of great tunes as well.

"Running Away" by Roy Ayers is my all-time favourite. Like Roy Ayers' other stuff, it's often classified as jazz-funk, but the 12's got a definite disco (garage house circa 1977??) groove on it. Doobie-doo, run run run!

Well, I stand corrected then. Lesson No 1. Never make assumptions \:\)

Mr Wiggles, I think we're going to be doing a Chic song, Le Freak.

Ocean, I'll be happy to do a benefit down in Shikoku sometime, I just need my transport (and accom, if any) paid for. A whole band would probably kill any profits, but I can go solo, though of course then you wouldn't get 'da dance groove' cos it will be way way more laid back.

Grungy - 1. lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif 2. I have a better idea - why don't you show up naked, and then if I see a naked guy in the audience whose gonads are grungy I'll know it's you lol.gif lol.gif

Thanks for the wishes, big will

slow - great, glad you're going to come. I'm not sure the start time, but if you like British pub food you can also eat there, come a little early. I'll let you know the time once I find out.

Hey Jelly - out of a set list of over 20 songs 6 of them are disco hits. Stuff like Play that Funky Music, Lady Marmalade, I Will Survive, le Freak, Boogie Oogie Oogie, Hot Stuff. I would have liked to have done some of the sister sledge stuff, and some Incognito and others, but we're sticking with stuff that's going to be easy for the band cos we have a lot of material to cover (this is a one-off band, specially formed for the gig, though we've all played together in the past in some wave shape or form. Don't let that worry you, we're all pros - the band'll rock!) Should be a fun nite.

Mr Wiggles - if you do wind up getting there, make sure you wear that crazy white hat with the black stripes.

Sounds good sunrise. I always thought disco sucked when I was a little kid until my sister had a disco party with all her netball friends at home. Shaking booty with all those girls who were a lot older and suddenly strangely attractive made me think "Hey...perhaps John Travolta isn't such a dick after all". Disco is all good-hope you guys make a lot of money for Amnesty.

I was still drunk this morning...

It was a fun night! The band was nice. The vocalist was funny!(We were talking about ski waist, not her waist. ;\) ) I myself liked sunrise and organist session the last few seconds.

I met some nice people there but didn't meet any SJ people. Thank you sunrise!

It was a good turnout for a Sunday nite - I think they made a bit of money, so that's good.

The gig was fun, albiet some moments of on-stage sound issues (which our wonderful sound guy fixed).

slow - you mean the vocal jam with Morgan on pianica? yeh, that was really nice. I'm not sure I can make his performance on Wednesday or not, but if I do I'll let you know.

heh heh, yeh, ski waists.....!