Did you get taught how to 'correctly' write numbers? It seems that most Japanese write them exactly the same way....

The 9's looking like they are tent pegs;

The 5's looking like they've got a horn coming out from the top of their head;

The 6's looking like a small 'b'.

It seems funny to me how the writing seems to be so similar, they must have lessons.

Yeah I'm sure they do also (although I've never asked anyone)...I used to have to write numbers on a whiteboard all day and wakaranai.gif wakaranai.gif would get grief for not putting a bar through the 7 (pedantic I know) but it could get mistaken for a 1!....Interesting...

I was 'corrected' by a Japanese colleague a couple of years ago for not writing "6" how it is supposed to be on a document I was signing.

A little shocked, I sarcastically asked her if my name was signed to her satisfaction. Not grasping my sarcasm, she analyzed it and reccomended I change my "L" mad.gif

I always cop abuse from younger students- no you don't write it like that! Pretty frustrating. I find that most Japanese write like children, the writing has no character or personality. I know this is a generalisation, sorry! ;\)