so you probably heard the news about the 18yo surfer who was bitten in half by a shark in South Australia and the ensuing hysteria and shark hunt to get some retribution.

What should they do with Jaws?

As an exsurfer(Not many waves in my area) I knew the risks of surfing, the shark is just doing what a shark does! Leave it alone. I think this quote from the boys father says enough

Quote:
"We do not advocate the indiscriminate killing of sharks," he said. "They are to be admired and appreciated and respected and Nick knew that."

I found out today the woman who is my mum's business partner's son was with him at the time of his death and had just climbed in the boat after finishing his turn. He is now getting a lot of help dealing with this.

Some of the news reports make it sound like he was surfing at the time, but there are NO waves there and they were towing behind a boat on a surfboard. ( he was a surfer though)

Back in 2000 when the olympics were on we had 2 fatal attacks in 2 days on the same stretch of coast.

Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
I found out today the woman who is my mum's business partner's son was with him at the time of his death and had just climbed in the boat after finishing his turn. He is now getting a lot of help dealing with this.
I've read a few stories on this and have heard the same thing. Indosnm, I'm sorry to hear you are indirectly acquainted. As surfers, we know the risk involved and I don't think many of us surfers would like to hear that a shark is being hunted for doing it's natural thing.

The first few stories I read said that two sharks attacked, but that was later disputed and then clarified. The media described it almost as a planned attack, like the sharks were out to get us land dwellers. We know that isn't true and that things were being sensationalized.

Aloha and peace to the kids family and friends. That is an awful thing to see and I hope they will be alright. There are a many places in this world that are very dangerous to surf. Surfers know this and take their chances accordingly.

aloha Indosnm.

Cheers Plucky,

We have to deal with these things, especially being from South Oz, where its the home of the Great White Shark in Oz.

We go into their territory and sometimes shit happens. But think how many people enter the water and how many people get chomped. Percentage is very low.

A mate's leg was bitten off during our "free surf time" in a comp many years ago and bled to death. Very heavy thing to witness and the heaviest thing was the bravery of his best mate who paddled up to the attack (instead of paddling away) and pull his mate out of the jaws of a 5m whitey. guys got nuts!( & got a well earned medal too)

This recent attack was only 1 shark by the way.. there have been 100's of different reports But it's just 1. Damn imagine if it was 2. sly.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
Avies Sharks everything is about the same risk I gather. iIts a shitty story though and the shark should be hunted if it is going to do the same thing again. the problem is how do you know if it is the same shark?
You don't know that it's the same shark unless you catch it in the act. now its pretty much there's a shark, kill it and hope that It's the one. They are protected species , and the shark hasn't posed a threat again since.

The point I was trying to make. You really cant catch the damn things. Its funny that the best sports always have these types of funny risks.

When I went to okinawa before on a company trip. My company was so scared about sharks that we had o shark check everyday. The guys at the hotel said not to worry cause they fished them out after the war. What he said wa before there were many but now we killed all but a few. Its sad yet at the same time comforting that you can relax and sein without worry.

I do hate killing things and I almost never kill anything. catch and release besides kukiburi.

A buddy who surfs near there is pretty freaked and says the beaches are empty.

where's ya bud? okinawa?

people freak out at the word "shark" without investigating what kind.

I am taking a bunch of kids on a homestay to Adelaide next week where we plan on spending most days that the beach.

How many phone calls do you think I've had regarding the safety of the beaches :rolleyes:

id say every kids parents called you?

bud is down near the auzzie attack point. surfs on the local beach after work.

I think these guys were hitting special waves no tow ins and stuff. my bud hits beach waves.

swimmers dont have muc to fear most of the time they are only up to their waist.

The Sunday Times here ran an article today with the father of the boy saying dont kill the shark leave it alone. But they are still looking for it. Rather a chilling photo though on the front page of a boat with a White Pointer under it swimming and the shark is twice the size of the boat!

If the father saying leave it alone is not enough...what do you do?

My 2 cents, leave it alone, we have them in Perth too and they dont attack because you are humans so they arent human killers, they are just looking for food for &$&* sake.

Fatts, yes mate many calls, but being a parent now i can kind of understand, and the news did reports make it sound alot more threatening to the bathers in the shallows.

News reports were very misleading. The guy that was taken was a surfer but at the time they were only towing behind a boat for fun as there are no waves in that area. Closest waves are near my house around 30km south of where the attack happened.

It's kind of funny that they ( news) made it sound like someone was surfing at West Beach. ( you would have to be from Adelaide to understand that one!)

Indo - been known to catch some hairy stormies at West beach, the Pat, Seacliff...!

I guess you're from mid coast area.

Noarlunga - now that's a higher shark risk area esp. around the reef. Yet in summer it's a magnet for people.

Even surf schools, dive schools, swim schools operate but I can never recall an attack for many years.

The chances of "being taken" are extremely low.

No point in waging a shark war fueled on vengeance - the dumb (majestic but dumb) shark surely is no premeditated killer.

Quote:
Originally posted by snobee:
Indo - been known to catch some hairy stormies at West beach, the Pat, Seacliff...!

I guess you're from mid coast area.

Noarlunga - now that's a higher shark risk area esp. around the reef. Yet in summer it's a magnet for people.
Even surf schools, dive schools, swim schools operate but I can never recall an attack for many years.

The chances of "being taken" are extremely low.

No point in waging a shark war fueled on vengeance - the dumb (majestic but dumb) shark surely is no premeditated killer.
Snobee, yeah I am from down towards the Mid coast. Yeah they have stormies (that are probably better than the waves here, come to think of it) & if you don't have time to get to a decent wave I guess I might even surf there if I was that desperate!. I have surfed at Brighton & Glenelg only because I was training at the surf club!

No news yet wether they are calling off the hunt for the shark but this might be your best bet for news on the matter The Advertiser
 Quote:
Originally posted by Siren:
I had shark-fin soup when I was in Hong Kong a few months ago - it is definitely one of my top 10 delicacies now!!
It wouldn't be if you saw the destruction that it causes.
On my travels in Indonesia & Mexico to far out villages they catch sharks, chop the fins off and just waste the rest of it. All that waste mad.gif

There aren't that much left to waste, that's the point. If you 'waste' just a few top predators that are under threat, the whole system will collapse.

Why don't you throw your loot at some less damaging conspicuous consumption like the gaudy handbags you favour? Cow hide is currently not in so much danger as shark fins.

I know the arguments, Ocean. I don't want to go into this but trust me - it doesn't matter.

At the risk of offending some sensitive members of this forum, my favourite leather is actually croc. :p

Quote:
Originally posted by Siren:
I know the arguments, Ocean. I don't want to go into this but trust me - it doesn't matter.

At the risk of offending some sensitive members of this forum, my favourite leather is actually croc. :p
Waste is wrong full stop, but if it is a FARMED product - like cow hide/croc, etc, etc it's relatively okay. \:\)

BUT, if the product is a WILD resource, it needs to be either protected/controlled by laws.

Most of Asia and Europe/US have really bad track records of depleting fish stocks - when you throw out a net many species besides the target fish are caught - it's called 'by-catch' which is commonly throw back into the water dead.

That's unnecessary. mad.gif

Depleting one species unravels the foodchain sequence - read up on the depletion of anchovies - it basically wiped out all fishing in areas that were once abundent with many species. eek.gif

It Oz we have strict rules for both recreational and commercial fishermen, together with aquatic reserves, it preserves the stocks for the future and maintains a relatively natural equilibrium. clap.gif

Waste is bad - food stocks aren't infinite.