Another of my obsessive driving threads \:D

You know how lots of Japanese slow down and instead of using their indicators they use their hazard flashing lights (l and r indicators going at the same time). Where I'm from that is not the way to do it. But here there are so many people doing it, I'm beginning to think it must be the thing to do here. Even the takyubin truck drivers seem to do it, and they're the ones that have things like "I'm Takano, safe driver, I drive at 40kmh or below" written on the back of their trucks.

So..... is it?? Or is it just people on mass being fools?

I think they just get rid of the process to flash indicators before using hazzard lights.

Your point is if someone wants to slow down and stop at a left side of a road, that someone should use the left indicator first then slow down then hazard lights, correct?

I call them parking lights.

If you turn them on it means that you are parked. You can do it anywhere but usually in the middle of the road. At home you would get dragged from your car and beaten for that but here it seems like its OK.

Hazard lights are a ticket that allows you to do anything (no matter how crazy) you wish. Trucks just put them on and start backing in to driveways while expecting you to be "guess" what stunt they are going to pull this time.

When needing to triple park, blocking off traffic at the bakery in Oz I really wished they possessed the same power that J hazard lights possessed;)

I never drive in town so I don't know what people do, but the worst driving trait by far around here is overuse of full beam, front fog lights, and non-standard headlight bulbs, especially superbright white ones. At night on a twisty road, you get dazzled by every fourth or fifth car.

One of the big probs with the BRIGHT lights is they are aligned incorrectly - read - not at all in many cases. They need to be set lower than normal beams.

Most are actually illegal and shouldn't pass shakken, which is why people put in and set the globes themselves often inaccurately.

yoroshiku - the illegal point is probably not widely known, maybe even amongst shakken servicers, or they may even ignore it coz it seems trifling - I don't know.

The Illegal globe manufacturers actually cover themselves on the packaging in very small print (in Japanese of course) stating to the effect -

"it's illegal to use these globes on highways, prefectural & local roads"

So what are they for - night burn outs in the rice fields. confused.gif

• 2 weeks later...