I think people have a right to vent their frustrations. Better on the interweb than at some poor unsuspecting member of the public. I had my fare share of frustrations with Japan, and yes I got angry especially with the indirectNESS of it all. But overall the pros far outweighed the cons and i definitely miss the place.

The difference, I think, is language. I'd hesitate a guess that the majority of foreigners in Japan are teachers, of whom, few have any quality language ability. That's bound to add to peoples frustrations and hinder "coming to terms" with the place. Any place in fact.

34 guests, I think, moving to London you might've swapped one city for much of the same in another! Move to the country (Cornwall) chew some straw and drink home brewed cider. You'll never want to go back to the Big Smoke again.

Yes of course people have a right to vent frustrations, I completely know that and I don't think there's much need for 20 people to just write that as it's quite obvious - and it was actually not my point either!

My point was that some people come here and live here and seem to do nothing else but complain about everything and anything. I wonder why people who have absolutely nothing positive to say about a place live there.

[sounds like I'm complaining now ;\) ]

lol.gif

Well yes obviously that was going to be the first response. And only took a minute or two!! \:\)

Of course, I am 'complaining' about 1 thing - not blathering on and badmouthing everything about Japan. I think you see the point.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Matthews:
34 guests, I think, moving to London you might've swapped one city for much of the same in another! Move to the country (Cornwall) chew some straw and drink home brewed cider. You'll never want to go back to the Big Smoke again.
I think the English countryside is actually quite a hightlight of the country. By far the best aspect (and quite of often a good one at that). To be blunt, London is just crap and I think everyone in the UK that does not live here knows it as well.

Even complainers gotta live somewhere.

One point tho' is not to heap all ya "complainers" in one basket. Whining may or may not enter the equation at all.

Commenting on (even regularly) injustices, stupidity, discriminatory practices nado, nado....that cause suffering/stress/belittlement to ALL residents of Japan should be encouraged and promoted.

For too long tooo many toads have had it on the general populace.

When I "complain" about "Things" I generally slant it from the perspective of how much better life would be for the average Taro.

Seeing firsthand some of the "shikata ga nai" bullshyte that my inlaws and other family and friends have to put up with at times is nothing short of numbing. They DON'T like it, just are less willing to speak out. They WOULD like to see change to make their lives easier and less complicated.

I know an Japanese/Euro couple here that are in constant complain/challenge mode to try to enforce some change in the bureaucratic dinosaurs that masquerade as govt. departments. They are involved in Amnesty and other NGO's.

He's probably lost count how many times he's been basically told - what concern is it of yours or if you don't like, go.

And yes I know one guy who hates it here, hates the people, hates the food, hates everything - almost, but he's still here.

I think he may have out-whinged his welcome in his home land of California or they deported him.

Happy Complaining \:D