I haven't been here on SJ forum for too long, maybe a month or so, but I was thinking, wouldn't it be good to have a bit of a general get-together of some of the forum members?

\:\)

In light of this, I propose a get-together of as many SJers as want to come to see some good live music this next sunday night. The gig in question is none other than the forum's very own sunrise. Her solo gig, in her own words:

Quote:
... is pretty laid back, I try and to mainly originals at that place, and a few pop, light rock, and jazz thingies sometimes.
I've talked to sunrise about this and she's happy with the idea, so I urge all you tokyo based guys and girls to come along and make it a good fun night. clap.gif

The details as far as I know them are:

Sunday 20th February

6pm - 10.45pm

Bar/eat place called Curtain Call - 3rd floor Roppongi Hills Virgin Cinema complex

Free entry, drinks are apparently expensive though

So far I'm just throwing this out to see what kind of interest there is, so please reply with "yes, I'm in" or "SJ folk? You've got to be joking", or any other suggestions you might have... I understand that a weeknight might be better suited to people's skiing schedule, but we'll see how this floats.

If there's a few willing participants, I'll organise a table or two and give everyone some more info on how to get there and where to meet.

Cheers,

Sven.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tokyo-ites, if have the opportunity then you should go! I met every single one of my gaijin mates in Tokyo via SJ. It is a great opportunity, unless of course you are some smarmy prick who is too popular for words and doesn't need the internet to meet people ;\)

From my hazy memory I remembered that one of the guys that runs the Clubhouse Sports Bar in Shinjuku 3-cho, Andy Lunt, is a backcountry boarder:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?fl20011202a2.htm

Haven't been there since the last World Cup, but maybe that would be a good place to hang out someday. Anyway, they have one of the best Thai chicken curry in Tokyo...

http://www.clubhouse-tokyo.com/indexE.html

Sounds good. Monday morning 8am work may not be much fun but!!! However the "drinks are expensive part" may mean that its not such a rough ride Monday after all!! How expensive are we talking? Is there a few bands as wella s sunrise??

And Maoriboy you know I don`t need dragging!! ;\) Gentle persuasion!!

Hey, on ya, Sven. It'll be good to see you again.

And you too, slow. ;\)

Montoya - we seem to have this karma where you know one guy running something and I know the other one. This time I know Jerry Brady from the Clubhouse. Good loyal member of the local mac user's group. Yes, that's a cool place. Maybe we can hook something up there for a midweeker?

Sorry farquah, no bands, just me, solo, but they play dark chillout music in the breaks. I have long breaks at that gig, so it's a good chance for me to hang out. That would be great if some folk came along. I'm not sure drink prices cos I don't have to pay for mine, but I seem to recall that it's more than pubs, though maybe (or maybe not) more than hotels. Sorry I'm not so helpful for that... Food's not expensive, though. Seems like you and maoriboy are a team. It would be great to meet up, i hope you guys come along.

Unfortunately it's the only live gig I'm doing right now, nothing mid-week at the moment. I figured quite a few peeps would be away on the slopes on a Sunday. Well, it's a fairly regular gig (at this point) when I'm around, so we could do it again sometime after the season's over. I might have other stuff by then too. Can't finish the year off without meeting jane... and whoever else...

In the interim the Clubhouse sounds like the go for midweek get-togthers. I'm in for that. They have good food there.

Scouser lol.gif I think I'm going to have to point you and Grungy to a couple of good well known late night Roppongi gaijin-friendly er, establishments so that you can get your hit of naked women on stage lol.gif :p

Go to Roppongi Hills complex and follow the signs to the Virgin Cinemas. Once you're there, look out for Curtain Call. If you for some reason you can't see it, just ask someone in the main Cinema area. They'll point you in the direction. Ph: 5775-6095

slow - as long as you don't drink before you get there you'll probably find it ;\) :p

Jerry plays rugby? Are you sure? Hmmm, is it the same guy? Maybe there's two of them floating around Tokyo.

American, quite a big hefty kinda guy - could easily do a sideline as a bouncer...???? Real character, too. Could that be him? ( I just couldn't imagine him playing rugby but what would I know?) eek.gif

He is indeed the same larger than life character. Of course he doesnt play the whole 80 mins but hes puts in 100% while hes on \:\)

Definitely the same guy.

I will see all you folks there on Sunday. Still trying to twist Farquahs arm but Im suire it wont take a lot :p

Oh what do you sing sunrise? pop, jazz, blues etc???

Alright! Good to see some interest here peoples... 4 so far (plus sunrise)... anyone else care to join?

Also, farquah, you're not alone with the next morning issue... I've got a job interview \:\)

Sunrise don`t suppose you know Joffa and Gharna as well do you, Jerry`s mates, also play rugby with them??Who would have thought big Jerry beer guzzling rugby player is a Mac users club member as well!! His secret is out!!

Sweet am in for Sunday, should be good to put faces to names and have a couple of cheekies with you guys. Prob won`t get there until around 8ish, no late fines is there??!!? Look forward to being seranaded by Sunrises vocals!!

Jesus, don't say that, now I have to try and live up to it or they'll be hassling me to pay for their drinks ;\)

Kansai- sure, you organise something I'll be there! Actually, I'm trying to see if I can do something to help finance a trip I want to make there, it probably won't pan out though.

Farquah - nah, don't know those other guys. Jerry - "beer guzzling?" Yep, that sounds like him. The Clubhouse has free wireless internet too. Good place to bring your laptop.

dizzy, hope you can pop in. There's no cover charge.....