An English teacher I know (Japanese) read both versions (but probably mainly the Japanese as his English isn't that good). He said it was "bashing" and wouldn't enter much of a discussion about it.

• 10 months later...

I know you guys have been talking about this book but I was not interested in it and didn't read it. The accidental meeting with Alex Kerr the other night encouraged me to read his book and I'm very impressed. I didn't expect this book was so good. Everything he says in his book is very true and honest. He can see Japan from the different viewpoint of a bilingual and it is very interesting, too.

I was having party at Fujimamas the other night. Alex Kerr was there and he wanted to talk with my friend and joined the party for a while. I and my friend hadn't read his book but he didn't care about that. Yep, he is a nice guy.

Just advertising by affiliation I suspect.

You can see the backgrounds of the staff here.

http://www.fujimamas.com/staff.html

I have been there twice (both occasions initiated by others). The food and services were both uninspiring. Even though I didn't expect much from a restaurant such as this, some of the waiters there obviously didn't know what they were doing. I hope they are better since I was there but I don't think I will be going back in a hurry if I can help it.

I found his information on the "amakudari" very interesting. A real eye opener. Although he did labour some points and several comparisons were very selective I found both books to be great reads and full of truths. Highly recommended!

Japan : A Reinterpretation by Patrick Smith covers similar and other ground too and is a much better read.

The staff at Fujimamas all seem to have passion for what they do. I don't think I'd feel comfortable sitting down somewhere to eat with all that passion happening around me.

Quote:
Originally posted by nicole:
Is Fujimamas similar to Wagamamas?
I would hope not, as Wagamamas serves quite honestly the worst attempts at Japanese food I have every eaten. It is disgraceful, especially their ramen! It is of course oh so popular with the hordes that perhaps innocently do not know any better (that is an arrogant thing to say, but I can no explain its popularity otherwise. It really is shit Japanese food. Closely followed by a trendy franchise called K10 - which is the worst 'sushi' joint on the face of the Earth. Its name is a reasonable play on words though).

Nicole - go and find a large Japanese company in Brisbane business district that employs business men from Japan. Then in the surrounding streets look for a small otherwise unnoticeable Japanese food place. There may not be one, but if there is then it is likely to be the best you will get in town (for street level everyday Japanese food). Forget wagamamas asap.

Wagamamas was ok as a place to go but the food definately isn't very authentic Japanese and I've never seen such expensive gyoza. Any supposedly Japanese ramen I've eaten outside of Japan has been disapointing. Haven't eaten Japanese food outside of Japan for over 5 years though.

Oh no! I gave the false impression of him. I guess he was there just for visiting his friend or hit the bar with his friends. And my friend is a man.

_spud, are you talking about Wagamamas in London? Is it still there?

Yes slow, yes it is still here... and expanding outward like the true cancer that are franchise/chain food outlets (that have the same menu in everyone of their 8 stores throughout the City. Such is the way here. A state of despair)

;\) Yor statement was perhaps unintentionally strong and amusing: "my friend is a man". I'm sure he is.

Quote:
Originally posted by _spud:
Nicole - go and find a large Japanese company in Brisbane business district that employs business men from Japan. Then in the surrounding streets look for a small otherwise unnoticeable Japanese food place. There may not be one, but if there is then it is likely to be the best you will get in town (for street level everyday Japanese food). Forget wagamamas asap.
Don't worry, I don't like Wagamamas. The best Japanese restaurant in Brisbane is Sono - very traditional and authentic.

I enjoyed the book but as some others have said he does go on and on about a few points a bit too much.

I remember when I first came to Japan I bought almost every book on Japan going. The trip to Kinokuniya was a big treat. Hard to believe now with amazon and everything, so much has changed.

Quote:
Originally posted by I'm Gay:
I remember when I first came to Japan I bought almost every book on Japan going. The trip to Kinokuniya was a big treat. Hard to believe now with amazon and everything, so much has changed.
Haha, me too. Jeez there was some crap amongst what I read. Tuttle Books. "The Culture of Dependency". A really bad translation of "Botchan".