I spotted two white swans over a lake, a racoon and three very cold monkeys in Fukushima on the weekend. The most wildlife I've seen for a long time here and all in one weekend! clap.gif

Anyone else see anything cool?

random thing... I went to Okayama yesterday and saw a guy walking a hamster and a cat (both were on leashes confused.gif ) with some kind of tropical parrot on his shoulder. Pretty unique. Spoke with him for a few mins and he said the cat never goes after either. All were really friendly and obviously hand-raised.

Went to a cool little Wildlife Reserve near where I live on Sunday where I often take time out to chill. Great weather and saw a variety of things including Kingfisher, Herons, Nutcrakers, Tanukii, and warblers. Realy nice place to escape to when town life is taking its toll, an oasis in the suburbian jungle!! However doesn`t quite top Yama`s hamster on a leash!!!!

You can never last a day without seeing anything like that while you live in deep mountains.

Sometimes you see squirrels looking around walnuts etc, sometimes check-a-dees fly around singing, birds which can not fly running around,

woodpeckers peck trees and you sometimes get bear warning! ( especailly in autumn)

Which do you think win, when a hornet and a dragonfly happen to meet ?

shifty.gif

Went down to Iriomote-jima last summer. Saw mud-skippers, crazy crabs, swam with tropical fish (many scorpion-fish), had lunch with a Habu snake (Japans only deadly snake), many crazy insects (love the tonbo), nearly pee-ed on a Habu snake (did I mention it's Japans only deadly snake?)

True wildlife expedition.

Quote:
Originally posted by flipside:
Went down to Iriomote-jima last summer. Saw mud-skippers, crazy crabs, swam with tropical fish (many scorpion-fish), had lunch with a Habu snake (Japans only deadly snake), many crazy insects (love the tonbo), nearly pee-ed on a Habu snake (did I mention it's Japans only deadly snake?)

True wildlife expedition.
Dont forget Mamushi too mate. Those are nasty buggers.

Hey flipside, where is Iriomote-jima?

I saw this guy in Isetan at Shinjuku a few weeks ago prancing around with a monkey on his shoulder. Also, saw someone walking a ferret at Yokohama on the weekend ... crazy.

My wife and I were sitting outside an onsen town (Akiu) in Miyagi-ken drinking amazake and eating manju when a monkey swooped down on us and stole our manju. As I didn't expect it it scared the hell out of me. eek.gif

As i have posted before on here I strongly reccomend anyone to come and visit my summer home the Ogasawara Islands if you are interested in nature and or diving. This is the "Gallapogos of Asia" with a huge amount of endemic species adn palaegic birds. PLus home to Humpback Whales in Spring and Green Turtles in Summer not to mention al year long reams of tropical fish and the most AMAZING diving in the world. If anyone`s keen I`ll even give them a free tour of the MArine Centre and you can even come and release some baby turtles!!!! \:D There is an offer you can`t refuse, what can I say I am all heart!!

One draw back though is the 25 hour ferry from Tokyo to get there, despite it still being actualy part of Tokyo!!!! lol.gif

farquah, Ogasawara sounds very very interesting. I always want to go to Yakushima to see nature there but would love to go to Ogasawara island if you'll be there!

I'm not interested in tame animals but wild animals are so cool!! \:\) I need someone who can teach me about wildlife.

Sj`ers invade Ogasawara!!! lol.gif

If anyone does want to visit I reccomend coming around Bon Odori time, the Island comes alive and there is soo much going on. The festival itself is great with dancing and hanabi on the beacj and plenty of local liquer to ease your throat and chat about the days diving!! Unfortunately there is no getting out of the Ferry trip and its prety grueling but there are a fair few little Islands to see on the way and of coarse plenty of beers and chats with fellow passengers to be had!!

If lucky you can even hang out with some of these locals when you arrive!!! userpic19119pic741f85dbe5ec52.jpg

I live in trailer house which is literally on the beach and anyone is welcome to crash, but its pretty simple and doesn`t have too many mod cons barr the air con!!!! However when you open the door each morning its something similar to this userpic20494pic104223fc5c77fc2.jpg

I have air con Gamera, thats the only mod conn I do have!!! Actually I don`t think that Ogasawara is as humid as here on mainland Japan. Because it is a small Island then there is often a rather nice sea breeze, I actualy found the climate there a lot more pleasing than here!! Its hot temperature wise but not as stifflingly "muggy" as it is here, it is a sub tropical climate though. But there is always the sea to dive into when you over heat!!

Cool, no humid weather!

We have to dive and grab fish to cook sushi!

Oh BTW Farquah, treat that turtles gently otherwise this giant green turtle would kick your a** okay? lol lol.gif

Pretty inept at the old quote system, let alone the double quote gig.

Quote:
Originally posted by woywoy:

Hey flipside, where is Iriomote-jima?

Well, it's somewhere in the vicinity between Okinawa island and Taiwan. Very island. We took a plane from Naha (about an hour) then stayed in a hotel on one island (the name isn't coming to me) and did day trips to other islands including the mostly national park Iriomote