Im just wondering how easy it would be for me an 18 yr old who just graduated from high school to get a job in Tokyo? I have lots of work experience in Canada in retail and restaurant fields and I am planning to take Japenese lessons before moving so I should be able to speak the basics and more.

Well, as Kintaro says, you should obtain a working visa to get a job. If you try to get a job without a correct visa, you will have a lot disadvantage i.e. working injury insurance won't be applied etc coz it's not legal.

you might be able to apply for a 6 month or 1 year working holiday visa without a degree but this varies from country to country. my girl hasn't got one (degree) and can't get a working visa or working holiday visa (because of her country) and we have tried literally everything to get a working visa and have failed miserably. you could always do a year-long japanese studying course, the student visa allows part-time work (i think) but when you get a job they'll probably let you work over the hour limit. other than that, come out here and work under the table. good luck

as far as i know i dont need anything more than high school if even that for a working holiday visa

Qualifications:

Applicants for the Working Holiday visa must

Be a Canadian citizen who is resident in Canada

Intend primarily to holiday in Japan for a specific period

Be between 18 and 30 years of age at the time of application

Possess reasonable funds to support themself, including medical expenses, during the initial period of stay in Japan

Possess a valid Canadian Passport

Be in good health

Have no criminal record

My plan is to get one of those and than once that runs out and i hopefully have a good job then i will apply for a full visa

MOst, if not all places, will require you to have some sort of university education if you want to get a job. Nova (one of the more relaxed companies in that respect) requires it for even part timers, and a full timer needs a uni degree or to be self sponsered, and self sponsership is very very dificult to achieve.

My brother who doesn't have a Uni degree moved to Tokyo on a tourist visa and found a job within a month at one of those after school english places.

He got a Japanese friend to sponsor his year long work visa.

So it might prove to be more difficult without a degree it isn't impossible.

Sweet87 I think your biggest problem is going to be your age. I'm sure you are very smart but how many places are going to hire an 18 year old.

Good luck to you. I'll give you room and board if you clean my place up cool.gif shifty.gif

yeah i dont think ive ever seen any foreigners working retail in japan, tokyo atleast.

i dont know how easy it would be for a foreigner to get hired in retail, especially because of the language thing and they dont know how long you are planning to stick around for. they wont hire someone who will pack up their shit and leave at any given moment. its a bit of a liability to hire foreigners i guess.

you might find something in a restaurant, it might be under the table or something.

i have no plan on working in retail lol i really dont think that would be a great idea in tokyo.

ive been told that its really easy to get a job in restuarants and in hotels for people like me??

There is always plenty of jobs going in the bars and clubs of Roppongi for Gaijin at places like Gas Panic and the like. Don`t reccomend it (unless you like working in dumpsville!), but it`s an option if you get desperate!! Also try some of the other nicer areas with Gaijin bars, may have something there.

THere are quite a few jobs going in hotels here in Narita. A couple of mates work at hotels and don`t have a degree, and there is some work at the airport too. If you look around there is a fair bit to choose

what im thinking about doing is gettin a job at a hotel here and then transfering to the tokyo branch but apparently the average transfer time is 3 years and i dont have 3 years to wait to go to tokyo

Does he have a name?..... who? me?

You have no idea how much motivation I have and its not like Im doing it alone lol. Theres nothing I want more than to haul my just out of high school ass to Japan.

The orginal plan was to live there for 2 years and then move back home to go to school but who knows if that will happen

If i only last 6 months there because of visas, I will be happy.

Sweets, If you work in Narita you are not far from Tokyo anyway. Plus you could live in CHiba or somewhere mid point between the Tokyo and Narita. It takes me about 50mins to get into Tokyo and you can drive it in about 35 if the roads are good. Also lot less of the hastle and high prices of living in middle of Tokyo. I often go into the city for a night out or whatever.

Take the Keisei line and it costs around about 700 Yen from Narita. So pretty cheap, yeah.

Also regular buses from the hotels which you may be able to ride for free if you are employee, not sure.

From the working holiday site FAQ`s..

Q3. What kind of work am I able to do on a Working Holiday Visa?

A3.As a Working Holiday Maker there are no restrictions on working hours and types of jobs with the exception of 'fuzoku' (host/hostessing, stripping working in massage parlours, prostitution, etc.), which you are not permitted.

Sorry Sweets looks like your out of luck!!!

;\) lol.gif

thats what im thinking. i don't think they would list hostessing along with stipping and massage parlours lol... but who knows.

this is stupid complicated but im going to succeed!

see you all in tokyo 2006!

Sorry. I didn't clarify.

Hostessing in Japan is different from what you know.

Hostesses are there to entertain the people in the bar/restaurant. They sit and talk to the patrons and try to get them to order overpriced drinks. Sometimes there is touching involved. Sometimes there is a back room...