1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

I messed up a Japanese name yesterday and had an small argument with the pedantic J-staff about it.

One they said it was quite easy to see what her first name was, and two they told me that in Japan family names always go first and they (these particular staff) always put the family name first -which is utter bollocks, they are completely random all the time - 6 of one half a dozen of the other.

anyway what do you think?

the female name was Yui Mana/ Mana Yui.

Which would you say is the first name Yui or Mana?

The poll will have time limit and when the limit expires at 11pm tomorrow night I will tell you what the true answer is

Yep! first name, christian name, forename, given name is the one I am after NOT the surname, last name, family name.

(dont we have lot of terms for the same thing? ;\) )

Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
you forgot the option that both names could be both first and last!
EXACTLY! thats my whole point, but if you were in my situation and had to make a instant analysis of the name and the person you called the name didnt correct you if you were wrong, which one would you choose?

Yui(結,唯,優衣,結衣) is very typical name for girls. But Mana(真菜,愛,真奈,麻奈) also can be girl's first name.

I know Yui(油井)-kun, it's very rare family name. But I never met someone whos family name is Mana. hmmmmm....

Yui Mana?? confused.gif Mana Yui sounds better to me. ;\)

Well! 10 of you fell for the same trap I fell for and thought she was Yui ( I know 3 Yuis) alas her first/given/fore name is Mana!

I am guessing Slow and Echineko are 2 of the 3 who voted Mana as her given name - well done.

Yep its true its true, Slow! great work you are right Yui is a rare family name and Mana is probably not a family name, but could feasibly be.

I feel somewhat vindicated now - 10 out of 13 would have made the same mistake as me which highlights that it wasnt "easy to see"

As an aside I found out afterwards that her name Mana was given to her because her mother loved a place in Hawaii called Mana