http://www.mainichi-msn.co.jp/chihou/nagano/news/20060101ddlk20040046000c.html

An avalanch happened near Hakuba Kokusai Cortina ski resort on December 31st 07:55am. No one was killed, but one injured.

The scene is near to Warabi-daira course at alt. 1,200m, 10m width and 300m long. It was outbound of ski tracks. Five ski patrols were attacked when checking the course. A guy (27) was seriously injured, breaking his arms.

thanks for the info SnowConnection.

this morning while at Kagura a riding mate saw a natural slide go off in-bounds, on the East face between the Kagura #3 Romance Lift and Giant Course, about 30-40cm deep.

thank you for the information Snowconnection. sad news. I hope the guy recovers ok. I am not sure I understand the post ok. It sounds unexpected that there were 5 ski-patrol guys doing out of bounds at 7:55AM. They could not be possibly looking for powder poachers at that time of the day, and since it was out of bound, I doubt they were securing the area. I will try to find out where that waraibi-daira course is, I think I have an idea. Unless it is an out of bounds avalanche that went onto the slopes.

Sliding at Kagura as well, again! Wonder if temps are a bit higher (did feel that way in Northern Tohoku a couple of days ago) making it easier for those slides. I will check the map as well, I am terrible, I never memorize the name of the slopes I ride on...

Quote:
Originally posted by SnowConnection:
A guy (27) was seriously injured, breaking his arms.
that guy was Tetsuaki Nomura aka Tets well known to many on this forum who ride the Hakuba region.
Sadly broken arms are only the start of his troubles.
Best of luck to him in his recovery.

Yep he is Fattwins mate, Fattwins is in Hakuba and will be for a few more days so we wont hear more until he gets back.

Apparently they were cutting a slope at the time and it went from above him.

We didnt hear anything about Tets for about 3 days after the accident, all we heard was he was a taken to Matsumoto and was in a critical condition.

I believe he fractured his sternum which is a rare life threatening injury and has some spinal injuries too. I dont have the full details so cant really say any more.

I m sure Fattwins will give us some clearer details later.

I hope he can pull through-don't know him well but he seems like a really nice guy. First season on the job and he gets hurt while trying to make things safe for the rest of us, it's a bloody shame.

Good luck Tets.

Sorry guys i cant get onto a computer that much in hakuba.

First my friend Tets is a top notch guy. I lived with him last year and there is nothing bad to say about him.

On the morning of the 31st Tets was cutting a run on the far side of Cortina. He was the second person to cut the slope. The slope went about 8 meters above him and took him through the bush. He was helicoptered out and very bad shape and it had us in a bit of a panic.

He is stable now and I hope to go see him next week.

Side note is this: Even if you do everything right something can go wrong. Arm yourself with gear and ride with buddies.

>Side note is this: Even if you do everything right something can go wrong. Arm yourself with gear and ride with buddies.

Yet so many visitors to Japan come to ride powder dont have the gear. Stupid, just stupid. After my little incident with the creek last year I always carry a rope in my bag too.

FF, tell Tetsu I said hi and give him my bests too. Bushpig, Fubuki, myself and a few others were thinking about hitting Cortina that day as well...

Avie Fest

Hey guys I was up in Nesiko just before Xmas and had a ball riding that back bowl but it looks like I was lucky to get out of there alive in hindsight. I have checked out every possible site on the web re avie awareness and picked up a fair bit of stuff on here and it has me worried.

The patrol were non existant there and due to the fact that my riding ability has progressed way faster than my mountain knoweledge I sort of wish they were a bit more on it. I'm back up in Feb to ride and do some work there and wanted to glean as much info as possible about the area. I'm also keen to get a hold of some GOOD books on avie knoweledge/dangers. Till now I have been blindly riding deep powder no beacon, no probe, no shovel and a lot of the time no buddy (wondered why no one else was riding the spot) I even set off a few wind lips not realising all I had to do was get trapped and I would die. I think that the signage and awareness levels in those resorts(Nesiko) are way to lax considering the dangers everywhere. I'm real interested to know if the danger I'm now seeing is real or weather I'm just reading to much about avies.

When we got word of the slide it definitely humbled us all to the reality of the dangers. It is so easy to get sucked into the goods, when you are in your zone, but you definitely have to ride with friends, and have some idea of what your getting into. I didn't know Tets personally, but from what I heard he knew his sh*t and was still caught doing routine work for one of the resorts. We can only be thankful that he is still alive and will someday be back on the slopes.

Yama ill tell tetsu when I see him.

a good book to start with is riding in avalanche terrain. simple, not so much tech garbage that takes alot to understand.

A few rules to follow even in just off the course.

1 ski with a buddy.

2 know what you are sking

3 stay away from roll overs at the top they load up.

4 ski/ride one at a time to safe zones

5 Dont leave a buddy if you cant find them

6 Ride with basic gear

7 do not launch cornices or wind lips they can break and cause massive slides.

Im still a bit in shock at what has happened. 2 monthes ago we all sat in the onsen with him chatting and laughing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Miagunya:
I'm real interested to know if the danger I'm now seeing is real or weather I'm just reading to much about avies.
Even if you are over-frightening yourself from these threads I think that's a good thing. But to hear the guys in here, who really do know their stuff, talking about it should be enough of a hint to realize just how real the dangers are.

How're the internal probs coming along with Tets FT? Any new news?

miagunya, you should be commended. the thing is that so many people continue to ride dangerously (w/o a kit or alone).

now all you need is some equipment. i don't go off piste or to the BC w/o at least beacon, probe, and shovel.