Quote:
Originally posted by samurai:
they're ignorant. That or I'm anal. Don't get me wrong, many had gear. But any time I see a skier with snowshoes, it's pretty obvious he doesn't spend much time hiking.
If you've had a drop of avi training... then check it out.
Why is a skier with snowshoes ignorant? I'm not arguing, I just wouldn't know why as I don't have any experience. Is it because skiers should be using skins for hiking? Thanks.

Perhaps that was a bit abashed. Maybe me poking fun at the rookies.

I have never seen a happy skier on a set of snowshoes. I have seen a few attempt it, only to later either completely give up on bc adventures or actually invest in skins and at least trekkers. Actually most skiers first attempt skins/trekkers. The next season they'll sell their trekkers and get some touring bindings.

Snowshoes on a skier's back means first attempt at skiing bc. softer snowboard boots and lighter snowboards are far less to deal with than a skier's gear when it comes to snowshoes. Snowboarders too also move on to split boards or ascent skis.

simply put- snowshoes are a lot of work.

I am going to be doing some Tohoku areas next winter with my g/f - she is from Akita and we were meant to this winter but due to work and a bit of illness couldn't get round to it. The plan is to take in what Akita & Iwate has to offer.

Seems like there is a bit of interest in a few places for Tohoku trips, including myself. Definitely lets get together and check it all out.