OK there's a few pints of beer on this one for any top tips. \:\) We are thinking next season to have a bit of a car trip adventure into the, er, wilderness of northern Tohoku. You know, further north than Niigata.

The main places seem to be a few round Fukushima, the Zao area, Hachimantai, Hakkoda and Appi & Shizukuishi. That is probably too much. But we are thinking maybe a week to do some kind of tour round places. It would sure make a change.

Good idea, or any top tips?

Excellent idea, but I would say that. I'm not sure about Fukushima. I don't know, but I don't think it is all that great. I know that people drive through Fukushima to get to Yamagata.

Zao obviously, and Hakkoda/Hachimantai if you want off piste, or Appi if you like groomers with plenty of sidecountry.

If you are only taking a week, you may want to consider the value of your first day teaching you what you need to do tomorrow. Narrow down your hop-scotch a bit. In northern Tohoku, around Aomori, I would recommend Hakkoda and Hachimantai, assuming you are chasing non-piste.

What kind of snow/terrain are you seeking? What are your riding abilities? There are hundreds of resorts on this island, but all offer something different.

Both piste and trees, I would recommend our Zao, and then... whatever.

Anyway, we need more info about you...

The car can take 3 people including the driver and be comfortable or 4 and be really tight. Thats because I need to take off one of the back seats to put the boards etc.

I am eager to go if I find 1 more to come with, 2 even better.

I also wanna check Gasan this year.

If anyone is interested PM me.

Quote:
Originally posted by tsondaboy:
although i've never gone, from all the accounts i've heard gassan is a waste of time and money. especially if you are coming all the way up from tokyo.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

OK here's what we like: nice snow, lots of it, long good variety of course, huge bc ain't necessary as we aren't into that in a big way. I'd say we are both intermediate level snowboarders whatever that means. ;\) Want to experience more of Japan, and maybe get away from the crowds, especially crowds of gaijin (so Niseko and Hakuba are out next year). Don't shout, it's just the way we feel \:\)

well hakoda and hachimantai are strictly BC.

Zao has groomers, but the different "courses" (I hate that word) are pretty spread out, and on a board you will have to unstrap here and there and walk. Those walks are not per run, of course, but they exist. There are a lot of highspeed quads and gondolas that you will be able to do laps on, but switching from one chair/gondola to another can take a 5 or 10 minute walk through the flats. that's just what happens when two resorts join each other.

There are also 3 different areas for nightskiing at zao. One area has a hghspeed, one area has like 4 double chairs, and the third area is at the top of the mountain and only accessible to those who are in the hotel, which is pretty sweet like that, though not long or steep. Nonetheless, the hotel up there is pretty fricking cool.

I'm sure Appi or other areas around Hachimantai may also be up your alley.

Quote:
Originally posted by tsondaboy:
Definitely not worth it unless you absolutely have to board in June, or you want to spend a weekend in Yamagata and take it in while you`re here.

Zao and Appi would be the go then BoC. A couple of smaller places to take in for a day/in transit could be Jangle Jungle (Yamagata) and Onikobe (Miyagi). I really recommend Onikobe. It`s quite small, but it has extensive cruising on the lower slopes, fairly challenging middle slopes, and a lovely ridge and bowl at the top.

this tohoku trip sounds ace! we're actually thinking of doing something similar for next year too, so i'll happily look into some of the suggestions.

BOC and 2 Pints - where did you ride this past season?

Samurai - what do you mean by hakoda and hachimantai are strictly BC? is it not safe to go there without backcountry gear etc, or can you happily jump off trails and into the trees there?

Hakkoda is one tram, 1000 yen per ride, with like one cat track with some colored bamboo guiding the first timer back to the base. It is a pow rider's heaven in that you can ride that peak, or hike anything. Avalanches are real there in the IB too. When I rode, i was with some advanced riders who didn't have any bc gear. If you can manage to stay in the trees, (of which there are heaps) you can limit your exposure to danger. The same is true with Hachimantai. Hachimantai has a few runs that are barely groomed and they don't have the pitch to be dangerous for slides. The side country however, proved once again this winter to daver and I that moving snow does exist in the trees, especially when it is as steep and as gully-like as Hachimantai's northern side-country.

People go to those two resorts for their pow and BC-like terrain. Not all, perhaps not even most, have BC gear or education. Neither are places you would go to for piste runs, although they do barely exist. However, they are not places strictly for the avy-savvy. They can accomodate all abilities, guides are available at both and I highly doubt anyone would have a lousy time. But if you like carving piste, terrain parks, highspeed quads or mountain top curries, find another resort.

If you are looking to start venturing off into the BC, understand that snow is a medium you have never imagined. The world's elite avalanche forecasters get more and more freaked out every year as they learn more and more. These two resorts are absolutely no-rules and completely free of any safety regulations you have encountered in the past. The guides, (of whom I cannot vouche) would probably be happy to give you that first exposure. But with the history of guides in this country, please take a moment and at least study up on route selection and safe zones so that guide is a mere finger pointing you to the goods, and not a reliance of safety.

This country, with no disrespect, is seriously behind the rest of the world when it comes to snow science. The credentials of many (by no means not all) guides in Japan would be equivalent to a weekend-long avi 1 cert in the states that would cost about 180 bucks.

thanks for the info samurai. very extensive post and much appreciated.

i'm an intermediate snowboarder and i only reallly like riding pow and trees, so i like the sound of a place like hachimiantai.

as far as in bounds powder goes, i'd consider myself good a good rider, but i don't have any proper BC experience or avy gear. i've done a few short introductory avy courses, which basically openned my eyes to how much i don't know and how danergous things can get. i've got a fair idea of terrain traps etc, but i want to ride safely. getting some solid BC knowledge is next on my things to do, but for next winter i'm unfortunately only going to manage a short 2 week holiday so the focus will be on riding .

i probably should have mentioned all this in my earlier post.

so when you say that most people seem to ride hachimiantai without any avy gear - is this because it is relatively safe, or because they're ignorant of the dangers?

they're ignorant. That or I'm anal. Don't get me wrong, many had gear. But any time I see a skier with snowshoes, it's pretty obvious he doesn't spend much time hiking.

If you've had a drop of avi training... then check it out.