There's a program on Japanese tv now that will be doing a piece about the hotel/ski season cancellation situation in Yuzawa (because of the Niigata earthquake) and what they are going to do about it. That's what I think they said anyway.

It's just started, "EZ Tv" it's called, it's like a variety news/entertainment program, on for an hour and a half, don't know when the story will be on during that time.

(Na-chan's pretty tasty too \:\) )

• SnowJapan Admin

They focused on the ladies running some of the traditional Japanese hotels in the town, and how business for November was like 10% of the normal. It showed them going to Tokyo with the Mayor to speak with the big travel companies about special campaigns and the like to get people back to the town. Interesting how a few of the people interviewed said that they 'felt bad' about the thought of enjoying themselves in Niigata when people 50km away were suffering because of the earthquake - then they pointed out that by people not going, Yuzawa and Niigata are suffering even more!

They didn't really mention skiing/snowboarding, and didn't mention the resorts at all. It was more the ryokan / 'human story' angle.

Oh yes, they got the name of the Mayor wrong again (his real name is Murayama - really nice guy, had a few beers with him more than once)

(Did they apologise at the end? ;\) )

Just spent a few days over the weekend at Kagura. I'm based in Tokyo and ride the shink, here are a few impressions:

*It was incredibly crowded, like the earthquake had no effect. 45 minute wait just to get on the Mitsumata ropeway. Maybe this was due to that other resorts weren't open yet and everyone flocked to Kagura.

*Service for people coming on the Shink is pretty bad. Only 3 shuttle buses in the morning, and 2 in the afternoon(!) It was packed like rush hour in Tokyo. And they were charging people 200en each way. What is Prince thinking here? Kandatsu has 10x better shuttle bus access for people without cars (and it's free).

*There are no special, new promotions or deals for shink/ticket packages (at least as I could find) arising specifically from the earthquake.

*Lack of snow will hurt the resorts much more than bad press from the earthquake (just guessing here).

People who go there 'before the season starts' (ie before everywhere is open and people are in 'winter mode' - yes, it does exist!) are generally more ski/board fanatics, wouldn't you say. They are hardly likely to be bothered about an earthquake 50km away that didn't really affect the area in the first place.

The people who will not go because of the earthquake-effect are many of the general public like those interviewed on that program last night. Why else would bookings be 30% of normal for the season? That's not snow related - not just yet anyway. So I really don't think current Kagura is any way to judge the season as a whole.

Putting the earthquake aside for a moment, I always wondered whether better roads/shink access to Yuzawa helped it or hurt it, regarding day-trippers vs. overnighters.

Years ago it was a 3-hour train ride, so people tended to make it a multi-day stay (good for lodges). With the shink station and better freeways, it can bring more people in faster, but it can also bring them back the same day. Not so good for lodges, the overall apres ski scene, etc.

Anyway, there's still not much snow. Best to wait another week or two.

Saw that.

I heard from a pension owner a while back that the shink was initially good for the region. People stayed the same length just had more fun time to enjoy. Then the economy went pear-shaped and people didn't spend as much... thats when it started meaning people would come and go in a day and not stay.

Quote:
Originally posted by montoya:
Putting the earthquake aside for a moment, I always wondered whether better roads/shink access to Yuzawa helped it or hurt it, regarding day-trippers vs. overnighters.

Years ago it was a 3-hour train ride, so people tended to make it a multi-day stay (good for lodges). With the shink station and better freeways, it can bring more people in faster, but it can also bring them back the same day. Not so good for lodges, the overall apres ski scene, etc.

Anyway, there's still not much snow. Best to wait another week or two.
I go to a place up there every year and am quite friendly with the owners. They said that it was a great thing back in the boom - things got 10 times better in a matter of a few years. They were rolling in it. Perhaps too complacent, because when people had less money they started zooming up and back within the day. Things are not about half what they were 5-10 years ago it seems. Well thats what this guys said anyway.