A friend went over the week-end. He really enjoyed the snow. Went for drinks in the evening and he said he came accross the usual sex-deprived completly hammered gaijins trying to pick fights.

Obviously I did not believe him.

Over the week-end in England, I read a magazine saying that Japan was an attractive option for ski holidays given currently cheap flights.

They were recommending that people who go there skiing head straight to Hokkaido, referring to it as the "Scotland of Japan"... lol.gif

One day I really want to go to Scotland and try the slopes up there. There is just something so appealling about the thought of skiing in Scotland for me. When I have been there (always not in winter), I've always enjoyed the place.

I love Scotland, had many wonderful times there. Skied there once and it was total shite. Rain, gale force winds, and 1/2 hour lift queues. Stoics that they are the locals were disciplined and good-humoured. One was skiing in a kilt lol.gif

I do too, it's a great place. I want to get a powerful bike and do a tour of Scotland on my own. (Stopping in tea shops and being very polite to do my bit to change the image of bikers). Some excellent roads in the middle of nowhere with fantasic scenery. Biggest problem is timing and the weather.

(Sorry that has nothing to do with niseko slopes, which I hear are very nice - though maybe not as slopey as other places). ;\)

Is the weather up in Scotland as generally unrealiable as the image suggests? I know when I went it was pretty bad for a week, we got one good day out of it. The scenery up there though is fantastic, and I like bagpipes a lot. I even tried a kilt on but decided not to get one for my Friday nights out. (I wish I had now).

Unreliable is the word. Cairngorm is 57 degrees north, so it does stick out a bit.

It can be very nice though. I've done a lot of undergraduate fieldwork in western Scotland (and a motorcycle camping trip on a 500cc Velocette 2pints), and we never lost a day to the weather. When I did the fieldwork for my dissertation, I went to Brittany while my peers all went to Scotland. I had a fabulous summer in Finistere, while the other poor sods spent a month in pouring rain, loitering within tent lol.gif

I've skied at Cairngorm (Aviemore) in May once, same weekend as Ayrton Senna and Roland Ratzenberger died at Imola. The snow record in recent years has been pretty dismal though and I think all the ski areas are on the point of bankruptcy (Glencoe already went over the edge IIRC).

Niseko was reasonably busy about 4 weeks ago, but still had a couple of days of powder fun without everything being skied out \:\)

The weather here in Scotland is about predictable as the lottery. This winter has been really shite, decent weather for a couple of days then the snow melts and we wait another few weeks for a dump. global warming is really killing the ski industry here. Although i have had some awesome days in Glenshee, when it's good, it's good! glas maol and the back coire's are the best like. Cairngorms has skiing just now, enough snow on the upper slopes, not exactly what you'd describe as deep powder though. the problem just now is the wind. high winds shutting off the lifts. For the record, Glencoe is still hanging in there, not closed yet!!

A friend went to Niseko in January, they did not know about so many foreigner there and were quite surprised to find. The last time they went was 10 years ago, so they saw big difference. They said it was good eikaiwa lesson as joke! lol.gif