Great weekend gang. FT thanks for lending me gear and taking us out to a great spot. i have both routes saved and hope i get a chance to hit it again.

pretty sweet for what i thought was going to be a weekend of resort skiing (i've learned my lesson no more leaving anything in Tokyo).

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow this must be a plug for MSR.......cool thanks for all the good tips. I've also used MSR's in the past and have loved them but liked the easy fit system of the Atlas, just pull the strap and bam your in. Myabe next weekend I can do a side by side comparison.

yeah fubuki, i think once u try MSRs, you won't want duck-hunting Atlas. mine are 1025s and are actually better suited for someone 80+kgs. i'd love a pair of this year's MSRs- they look sick

thumbsup.gif

had a friend who rode the k2 clicker set-up with the short ascent skis/skins. he could climb anything my enormous rossi XXXs could. They weren't any bulkier than snowshoes but definetely faster. I know many snoboarders hate teh clicker, but as far as BC is concerned, it's right up there with a split board in efficiency, in-my-skier-opinion.

this wasn't a one time thing either, he used that set up every thursday-monday for ten weeks straight. Tent style bc.

I've never seen someone happy on snowshoes. although, ignorance is bliss.

yeah, I should have mentioned that our trips usually involved 5-8 miles of traverse into the peaks. (montana)

but he could climb really steep pitches better than me as he could duck-walk. I'm thinking of one situation in particular where we had to climb a 20 foot wall/crux of deep snow. I ended up clicking out and climbing. he laughed at me \:\(

i second those msr or similar versions, there the best snoeshoes Ive used, the binding alone make them worth it, but .....

the best backcountry shoes I evev used were a home made pair of shins. like someone mention k2clicker's are so good in the backcountry. Basically, I cut a 171 board at the waist, split it down the middle mounted a voile split kit with the nohighback clickers for bindings, i rode highback clickers on my board. when i rode they were minimal on my bag and they kicked ass for covering ground, I think that year was the most I ever toured.

And if your afraid of clickers they feel much the same as toe caps.

also something to consider is what evry one else has, because if every one has differnt gear your boot/shoe pack is never clean and you spend more energy...last year i used a split but it wasnt as efficient because evryone else had snowshoes. something to consider.

when i said knocking my nose out i meant the nose of my board lol.gif no AK style for me :p

yeah, I'm better now. was groggy for about 2 days. will be riding with the wife this weekend and be back with a vengeance the week after!

What CB you leaving Japan???????

EBC- not sure what this wkend has in store. I'm actually home today sick AGAIN!!!! I think half the kids at my school have this nasty bug. I will be well peaved if I am sick for this wknd since it is my last in Hakuba. GRRRRRRRRRR

Send some healthy vibes my way!

How 'bout you?