Excellent Saturday. Five: FT, kumapix, fubuki, BCW, and sock monkey planned to leave at 7:30. we got out the door at 8.

A conbini stop and Citizen Cope in FT's van on the way to Tsugaike. Kumapix rocked up just after we got tickets and were in the gondie line. 45 minute easy hike up Hiyodori. Citizen Cope looping in my head. We were expecting: blue bird, no/little wind, stable north aspects. Sock monkey's GPS chartered every meter of our route. Altimeters and FT's map.

solar radiation was affecting the south-facing slopes of the terrain we were in. It was warm by now and only before 11. We had to negotiate a sketchy cornice of ice. Fubuki wasn't having a jolly good time w/ his equipment, but he managed. Once on a safe spot, FT wanted to cut the cornice.

He had me secure myself to a tree about 2 meters downslope w/ straps.

The cornice cut wasn't going to work b/c there it was too much of a hassle to get a rope underneath it. I climbed back up the slope, kicking in steps w/ my snowshoes. Kuma stuck out his arm to help me up the last meter and afterward we yelled, "Fai-to!" "Ippatsu!" like those guys in the energy-drink commercials.

We went to a saddle, fubuki roped me up using two trees and himself as an anchor. FT had me jump on the cornice. Then I slope cut it as best I could. Now I want a rope, too. 6-8mm, at least 30m if not 60. the thinner and longer, the more expensive so we'll see.

Once I got down the slope as far at the rope let me, I meant to dig a quick pit. But everything I've learned on courses and from books flashed through my mind and I took my damn sweet time. I did easy hits too hard, so I guestimate the instability was moderate 4 or 5 @ 28-33 cm, on top of a H2 4 cm below that. Pretty stable underneath that. I've got to take my time in the pit. I don't like wasting time, but it's not a race. Everyone got ready. I hadn't been thinking about my snowshoes and had left them on top of the cornice. Luckily, FT put them on his pack for me. In return, I accidentally dropped his shovel handle 'cause last week he dropped my shovel handle (saw included) down oshi dashi. I told him and he yelled back "nice joke" Damn.

I went first. \:D My riding was sh#t but the line was great. Kuma went more into the shade and found a safe spot to snap photos. The BCW wasn't whistling today, but he launched off an ice-covered rock, yelped OH SH#T, and super Mario-jumped back up. Fubuki was next and loved it. FT hiked up further and absolutely killed it! Really strong turns. Sock Monkey came last.

BCW, Fubuki, and I went down further. Looking back:

dizzy_63.jpg

I went over a small knoll and at the last second realized I had had my helmet unstrapped from my last stop and go. It popped off my head as I went over the bump and I caught it as I came down the bump. BCW and I were laughing our arses off at that.

Kuma w/ my camera of SM and I: dizzy_66.jpg

We had lunch and then had pristine trees. Kumapix still had my camera at this point. Cell-phone picture. My board is just at the tip of the SJ logo:

dizzy_68.jpg

Kuma's camera captured some great shots of flying Fattwins. we're eagerly expecting his TR. Sock Monkey's got some great shots, too.

sick sick sick.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
Toque they are the best trees ever.
Yah I looked down into them both times I traversed out that ridge
They look real steep which is cool

I did enjoy that final south face that you'd hit if you didn't drop into those north trees though

And skiing through peoples backyards on the way back to Tsugaike is always fun

hey guys, maybe tomorrow night. had a bone-crunching end of day yesterday and I have to go see the doctor tonight.

jumped off the panorama cattrack cliff with too much speed and landed flat on the cattrack. AFter that my chest felt funny. then the next run we (jpnse bordercross crew and I) let a 'must-be-pro-he's-so-good' rider lead us down the olympic course blazing fast. got massive air off the rollers and straight-lined it down the run to kokusai to get back to the gondy. Just as I was about to pass my friend she swerved to get a hit on the side wall, in the process knocking my nose out. I went flying and smashed my head, felt sharp pain going up my elbows and my fingers went numb. splitting headache. but after a rest i managed to straightline it back to the gondy getting a sweet b180 in at the end. I think i just did a judo breakfall since my forearms are all bruised today, so there was prob no concussion. If i had no helmet I would be in a box right now \:o

but i am still better off than AK as I still have my good looks thumbsup.gif

DZ-great thread and thanks for the snowshoes the next day. Much better than the day before. Which ones are those by the way 1025, or the BC24???

kuma-damn sounds like you had a hellofa day. hope you`re ok..... can`t the magic massage stick fix that? Can`t wait for the continuation of the FT saga.....

mmm yeh last year AK was deciding between the cheaper MSR's with no heel risers, or the ones with.... can't remember which ones he got.

fubuki - remember that windy snowy november we ventured up to tateyama to drink wine lol? i used MSR's with heel risers on that trip, not that i could hike for shit though.

only pics i can find with the MSR's in.....

eskimobasecamp_12.jpg

eskimobasecamp_4.jpg

hmmmm not totally useful pics, but these are the good MSR snowshoes! thumbsup.gif

I'm not AK either (memory loss)

but get MSRs - the crampon teeth on them are great - last spring I ended up scrambling up the final part of Tateyama in them, and they worked great.

As FT says, the heel risers are definately worth getting - I was sceptical at first, but couldn't beleive how much difference they make on steep ascents.

Plus their hard plastic bodys might save your back if you fall into a deep hole on the ground. Or wear them strapped to your face to protect your nose.