It kills me on the mountain, every time I go up for the last run of the day, I don't feel overly tired. But my balance is useless and find it hard to make turns.

When on skis I either end up falling and twisting my knees, on a board I can't fishtale anymore.

How to stop it? Just go home at 4 instead of getting the last lift up?

Another pointer, can anybody describe the best control stance for snowboarding. Not a neutral stance, but one where I can power down fastest but going from edge to edge easily.

Its pretty easy to bomb down a hill on skiis, just lean back slightly and lift the front of the skiis, but you lose a lot of fine control.

Quote:
Originally posted by YellowSnow:
Another pointer, can anybody describe the best control stance for snowboarding. Not a neutral stance, but one where I can power down fastest but going from edge to edge easily.
Sharpen up those edges and do small jumps to go from one edge to another. I doubt though if you can do that at 4 o’Clock.
I usually ride like that only early in the morning i.e. before 09:00 that the slopes are empty, and in the afternoon I ride back down the hill like an old lady. :p

Dont get upset with the vague answer, but the foot stance would chance according to what you ride.

Let’s take the simple case that you are riding a hard pack slope, I would say lean completely forward, put most of your weight on the front foot, bend your knees to get closer to the ground and use your back foot for steering.

Dont try to do that standing on the board like if you have swallowed a cane, you will probably hurt yourself! \:D

Quote:
Originally posted by quattro:
If your tired and having problems stop. When your tired accidents are more likely to happen. Save yourself for another day versus trying to get one more run.
very true. two ways to go, either try to raise your fitness so you can go all day, or as the guys said, call it a day, no point pushing yourself if you aren't enjoying yourself.

Also, being hydrated, and having the right food in your system makes a big difference.
 Quote:
Also, being hydrated, and having the right food in your system makes a big difference.
This also helps a lot.

I ski with a camel bak and find this is the best way to stay hydrated. Take sips on the lifts and at the top of a run. I usually get the weirdest looks from the locals.

Also keep a bag of homemade gorp in the pocket. A mix of granola, M&M, nuts and banana chips. The kids love the M&M and banana chips. Power Bars are good but i have a problem keeping them soft enough to eat. Be sure to drink plenty of water with them

I also like to have chocolate bars with me, but some times they get so hard I almost broke my teeh to eat them. Its a good idea to keep them close to your body to stay soft, but be carefull because they tend to melt and make a mess of your jacket. :p

are you surprised that you're tired at 4? That's seven hours of cardio/sprints, dude.

I'll down drinks and light snacks and ride for 6 hours straight. 4 is usually enough. Big lunch breaks are evil. And if we ever ride together, don't count on an extensive "re-charge" break. they just tire you out.

I also ski with a camelbak and find it best to have something sugary in it rather than just water.... energy drink or juice is great....

As for the chocolates, you pu them on the inside of the jacket not the outside, that way your teeth don't break eating them cos they a bit warmer....

I usually have about 1530 fatigue but still always do a top to bottom run, I don't know why, it just seems right.... I used to push it but by then the snow is often chopped up and there are tons of other fatigued idiots around to avoid so I take it easy now.... Maybe I'm just getting old.... fast stuff better am and during the week....

A mars a day helps you work, rest and play

When I first started snowboarding seven years ago, I was pretty much finished at 4:00 or 5:00, and this is considering that I would start at 10:00 or 10:30, and have about a total hour of lunch and rest in the middle. But back then I had very little muscle tone, and I weighed about 80 kg / 180 lbs.

In the summer of 2006 however, I started working out three times a week to develop all-over body muscle (used the AbsDiet DVD actually, which covers all major muscle groups). I would also go skateboarding for a few hours every week, and in November, started going to a nearby skatepark to skate transition. The cardio workout from this was intense, and I boosted my stamina considerably. Now I have larger muscles, yet weigh 71kg. Quite a difference!

So this season, I've been doing two-day weekend trips, with four or five hours on Saturday, and a longer marathon on Sunday. On one Sunday, I rode from 9:00 AM until 8:00 PM -- with two breaks of an hour each. I ate lots of food, drank plenty of water, and also made sure to stretch all main muscle groups about three times (once every few hours). I should add that I slept for 12 hours(!) the night before this long day. From 7:00 PM until 7:00 AM... yeah, I was pretty tired. Yet, even with all this intense riding, I wasn't sore at all the next day (Monday).

So my point is, you can boost your stamina. The best advice though is the advice already given above: once you're worn out, end the day. My worst slams in either sport have happened when I was exhausted, cold, or hungry... or all three.

If I'm just skiing on courses, then I can go all day (don't particularly like moguls though, so I tend to stay away from mogul fields). But I started riding more powder and off piste this season, and that's damn tiring. I don't go for the "last run" anymore (especially since by late afternoon conditions are usually quite worse). Then again, I'm also a year older (my amount of excercise hasn't really changed though).