• SnowJapan Admin

That was today was it? Good. I don't actually know much about it and haven't seen it although they did promise to send a DVD of it to us for records.

Basically the tv station (Shinshu tv?) contacted us and were asking us about why Hakuba was becoming so popular with foreigners, I did a telephone interview about it (which I wish I could have redone, my Japanese wasn't the best that day ;\) ) and gave them a number of ideas of people to contact in Hakuba, including Nick and a few other SJers and people over there.

That's about as much as I know!

I thought you looked all right Fatty. Had you combed your hair or something? A bit of a off day for your Japanese though.

It's was about third or fourth thing on the local news. Both Fatty's place and this website were shown, and they made some good points. If you weren't paying attention, I don't suppose you'd notice, but once again the typical Japanese attitude regarding foreigners was on display. The report started off talking about foreigners coming to Hakuba, put up a graphic showing that half of them are Korean and only 18% are Australian, and then decided to completely ignore the Koreans and other Asians. In 2007 even, the minority white man is more newsworthy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
.The problem with Koreans is that they look like Japanese not easy to wait at the bottom of the loft to video them.
You got Koreans living in your loft?! Tight squeeze, but I guess it pays the rent! ;\) ;\)
 Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:

The problem with Koreans is that they look like Japanese not easy to wait at the bottom of the loft to video them.
Yeah, finding an Oriental gaijin is probably beyond the research capabilities of a Japanese newsteam. Even if there are four times as many of them as Australians. All you have to do to be Japanese news researcher is ring the local weather center. Hot, cold, wet, dry, its all major news.

The same news program said JAL are probably going to stop flying from Matsumoto-Sapporo, so if any of you overseas people want to do both Nagano and Hokkaido, this season may be your last chance for an easy transfer.
  • SnowJapan Admin

I remember the original contact from them - the idea for the piece was very specifically "why so many Australians?" which I found rather interesting. I asked them why just Australians, the answer to which was "thats the テーマ of the article" or something along those lines.