Going at normal speed are most quads the same speed or do they vary? Some seem distinctly slower than others but they seem made by the same Nippon Cable or whatever and look the same.

I have been to some places where the weather is just fine, no winds, and hardly any other people - and the quads have gone slow. It seemed to me that they were doing it because of the fewer people around. But it was annoying for those of us who were.

yeah but the fact that they don't (and I'm sure all of us have experienced it) suggests that there is something else at play. I reckon some places are just over-cautious and anal about how fast they run them.

a guy in tokyo who owns the resort wrote the standards at what speeds the motors that drive the chairs should function. he doesn't ski, just owns the business. He's the same guy that says skiing off piste is dangerous and therefor not allowed. Nobody is allowed to disagree with him as he is the elder, the ceo and pays their salary. In fact, when being spoken to by him, it is best to stare at the floor.

often during storms and power-outages, a diesel engine runs the chairs, and they are often slower than usual. It's nice riding during power-outages, though.

Quote:
Originally posted by quattro:
 Quote:
yes, it makes sense to run them quicker when there is a queue of hundreds waiting.
In Japan. I hardly ever seem to be in a lift line thats long. lol.gif
Quattro, if you had been 4 days earlier, you would've seen several hundred Australians at gates of Ace2Quad.

I reckon lift speed is directly related to slope control and has little to do with savings related to the running costs of the lifts.

For example, when there is a crowd, the lifts are slowed to control the number of people accessing any given run = safety = limited snow patrol expenses. But more importantly, it also extends the life of snow quality i.e. by reducing/limiting the average number of runs per day per rider it negates the need for heavy duty repair/grooming, and very expensive snow making.

You'll notice they mostly slow lifts when the weather if fine AND there are crowds. (Not counting foul weather/winds.)

cowded slopes has never been a problem I have come across in Japan. The queues for the quads and the gondolas are a different matter, they are most prevailent around 10am and after lunch time. Guess why.

With the snow conditions in much of the Japan resorts, the more people that ski it, the better for the resort. More people, more lift ticket sales, etc.

The slopes get decent covering during the night most of the time.

I have never really had much of a problem with crowded slopes though I'm lucky in that I often can go weekdays. I went to Kagura one Saturday last season and decided it wasn't for me! Weekdays are just so much better. You get to ride more, the slopes are empty, the snow is yours.

Can't be beat. I'd much rather work a weekend and then go Monday and Tuesday.

I'm not exactly sure how these things work but if we're talking about detachable/'high speed' quads (I haven't seen many non-detachables recently), you have to consider the speed of the cable carrying you up the mountain and the speed of the round-about thing where you get on/off the lift.. If you can't increasing the speed of the round about, (thus decreasing the intervals between chairs as you get on) you won't increase lift capacity. Actually, if you increase only the cable speed, then people will just spend less time riding the chairlift and more time in line. Plus they may complain of whiplash when getting on, and when getting off, they'll be SHOT out of the chair!

being shot out of the chair is one thing that should be encouraged. I have seen many beginners fall at dismount cos they couldn't stand up. A big push helps so they can get the momentum to leave the ramp.

All that falling keeps the lifties warm and the slow button pressed once every 2 minutes.

I don`t know for Japan but I worked as a liftie at Vail and Breckenridge and the lifts all had a normal top operating speed that they ran at most of the time. They were slowed if the wind was strong and there was a danger of the chairs hitting the lift towers and derailling. Also the beginner lifts were ran slower to make it easier for people to get on and off.

Some places still use the old style fixed grip chairs which don`t speed up or slow down at the top and bottom and these have to run much slower than the detachable, high speed chairs so people can get on and off safely.

As soubriquet says, the on the detachables, the high speed and low speed bits are geared, so it doesn`t matter what speed the cable is going at, it will still be a smooth speed up / slow down. Depending on the make of the chair, if you look up when you have sat down the chair, you will see a row of small wheels which speed up the chair before it grabs the cable.

Final point, if the lifties are any good they shouldn`t need to slow or stop the lift much (beginner lifts excepted). A bit of pushing / grabbing / shouting at people fixes most f*** ups.

Quote:
if the lifties are any good they
I often found them very good at wiping the lift seats with those funny looking brushes they have. Especially when it wasn't snowing and there was no snow to move.

They also seemed to be very good at coordinating the difficult work. One guy on the front line checking (but not!) the tickets, the next guy with doing the brush thing, and then 5 others with fags and ocha in the bottom lift hut looking bored.

;\)