I guess all-nighters are an option. But it would be good to know what is open on those days.

I'm thinking that because the majority of Japanese aren't Christian, they most likely don't celebrate the same days that we do.

New Year's is like Christmas, family time. Xmas is for lovers, like Valentine's. On Valentine's girls give chocolates to guys, and guys give cookies to girls on White Day a month later (brilliant marketing by the confectionary industry). On all days, the resorts stay open, and I'd imagine most surrounding businesses do too because the New Year's holidays are big money makers (ie. domestic tours are expensive.)

The "do nighters" I think is referring to night skiing/boarding which will probably stop around 9pm/10pm. Not referring to doing all night alcohol benders.

Christmas day is like any other day really, you might see some Santa guys on the slopes. New Year is the big holiday and on New Years Eve some places I think open their "nighta" later maybe until midnight then have fireworks and dudes skiing down the hill with torches and stuff like that.

I never go out new year so wouldn't know. Have heard it is busy though. Just after new year when people are back at work is usually a good time to get the slopes to yourself.

>Do the bars/restaurants shut down (I hope not)

On NY's eve, you can ski/board down the slopes with a torch. Its pretty cool when a thousand + peeps are doing it. I did it once and it was fun.

Nothing is closed at that time so no worries, though it will be crowded. Wherever you stay, have them help you make a reservation for a place to eat (if you eat out). Though I just remembered that some places take reservations some dont.