Lawn bowls? No, that's not my thing, but you got the rest right. Yeah, avoiding Hakuba for Christmas seems shrewd, and if you're going with infants, Club Med is a good bet because they have really good child-care arrangements.

Do check-out Hakuba at some time, though.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my experience, it's just as likely that others picking fights with the US military guys actually start the trouble. Have met plenty of US military guys in various resorts and they have all been basically cool. When people are daft enough to pull their strings, then fights may occur.

Quote:
Originally posted by likesDaPow:
Whoooooooooooooo, Hey now. I want to set this straight! My girlfriend and I went on a Navy sponsered trip to Hakuba. Yes the rest of the guys on the trip were young Sailors (Navy). I am Army not Navy. I was just there for the snow (or lack there of it turns out).

I was there to enjoy Nagano and spend a long weekend with my girlfriend. It is a shame that some people acted completely inapropriate. Those guys get off the boat after 4-6 months and they go nuts what can I say. I am in no way making excuses for those guys. What they did brings shame to not only US military forces, but to my country as a whole.

Yes I was on the same trip as these guys, I even rode the same bus, but I was never involved in any fights, breaking stuff, or insulting, etc etc etc...

I agree with SG its makes things hard on the rest of us when people form there opinions on a few bad apples.

I just want everyone on this forum to know that I was never involved with any of the BS.
nice post LDP. There are some good peeps in the military - but it seems there are some (more?) rotten ones.

Many places in Hiroshima/Fukuoka have banned GI's from entering establishments or have a set limit as to how many can enter, or must have "x" number of women with them, etc... I think they have a curfew as well.

Yeah it's a shame for people like you ILDP. I've met lots of military people in Hakuba over the last 6 years. Most of them were basically friendly, intelligent and interesting people who are good to hang out with. I can't remember coming across any of the type of jerks being discussed here.

Unfortunately, due to incidents like this military and gaijins in general get a bad reputation. That bar owner who was swinging the guitar will probably be wary if any random gaijins walk into his bar in the future.