a `kicker` is a sculpted jump.

they can vary in size and shape, from the `cheese wedge` to the `step-up` to the `hip`.

The can be flat platforms, or they can have a grade of different transitions, also known as `kick`, `woo`, `wang`, or `a piece of shit designed by a quebecer`.

The design usually serves a specific funtion, whether to propel the rider over a gap, up into a landing higher that the actual jump, provide access into otherwise inaccessable terrain, to facilitate spins and other tricks, or just to huck you in the air like a wet cat shot from a cannon.

> just to huck you in the air like a wet cat shot from a cannon.

Yeah, that's what I look for in a jump!

I was going to ask this on spud's pipe board thread but I'll ask it here - it's no more relevant here! In the pipe when you approach the lip do you pop or simply ride the board off the lip? This year I'm going to have a go at getting up out of the pipe but the one time I've hit a pipe wall with any real speed (and didn't pop) I've landed on my arse outside of the pipe. On the other hand, I'm wary of hitting the vertical and then launching myself head fist back into the middle of the pipe. Assuming the pipe isn't completely crap and the walls are vertical, which is it pop or no pop?

Its a little of both, actually. You have to learn how to keep your weight inside the wall.

before you try to clear the lip, try jumping withing the walls. See how much you can push off and still land on the wall/transition.

on your first run or two in a pipe, take it easy and slowly get higher and higher on the wall. Just start grazing the lip, and learn how to keep your weight inside.

alot of people suck up the tranny and absorb the wall with their legs too much, letting their momentum carry them outside the pipe.

When you approach the lip, look up out of the pipe and see where you wanna be. Where you look, you will go.

Once you start going bigger, its basically the same thing, just with more speed.