Quote:
the big mountain of Hotaka
I am like a fly to shit.

Nice mountain, any other pictures?

Hakuba is becoming Hollywood these days thumbsdown.gif I'm still searching for my spot, away from the crowds and in a big mountain area, I want to buy a little bit of land.

RW-unkai.jpg

That mountain is Kasagatake. Climbed it once.

Anyway, I have read the signs at the ropeway station sating not to ski. Lie a bit? To whom do you have to lie to? Is the access point for the hike near the ropeway building? I know that this valley has claimed a lot of lives due to avalanche and over zealous hikers getting hyperthermia etc. But, it is still way early season and there is the possibility that a weekend excursion here could beat the shit out of going back to Takasu for fake snow, crowds and 1,000 yen parking.

700 meters vert in two hours? Is this the hike that leads over to Kamikochi.....by any chance?

Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
Is this the place there is a very nice free rotenburo by the river?
Yes it is Slow

TTT the Godola drops you off about 30 minutes below a ridge. From the ridge you could hike into Kamikochi

I'd just stick to resort dude
 Quote:
TTT the Godola drops you off about 30 minutes below a ridge. From the ridge you could hike into Kamikochi

I'd just stick to resort dude
So the gondola actually lets you on with ski gear?

I dunno, its just too attractive sounding to not at least go and have a peep and look around. And the weather is freaking perfect, not a cloud in the sky......and the alps are covered in snow. Got a call from a mate at Washi telling me that it was ok there.......hmmmm.

BTW the free onsen at Shin Hodaka is closed, but there is another one down the road at Toshio.

The gondola should let you on with ski gear. As long as you say you are not skiing back down the old ski runs. They shouldn't be able to stop ski-mountaineers which would be the people going up higher. It's not somewhere to learn how to ski in the backcountry. Those are big mountains with huge avy runouts.

In spring 2004 I skinned up one of the runs in April. Was kind of fun but that was a long time ago before I demanded more from a backcountry trip

Well, did a recon trip today, and went up to the first gondola stop. The snow is still up very high (further than I really want to go) \:\) So, skiing under the gondola and old runs is pretty much ruled eh? hmm.

Very clear weather though. On the way back had a very nice view of the backside of Nori. Its a shame that there is no open road to Tatamidaira (i think thats it) this time of year. I dont mean the bus route from Honoki, I mean the (now)closed gate left turn before the Hirayu tunnel. There must be a way to get there, because when I went there the first time on the bus, there were private cars parked at the bottom of the Nori runs, and the road was completely blocked with snow between the Tatami area and the top Nori bus stop, which means there must be another way to get there.

Just hate wasting good money on shite like washi this time of year. Just gonna have to wait like everyone else, I think.

Nori Cam

There are 2 ways to get to that pass

Either from Hirayu side or from Hounoki side

I did some backcountry skiing in that area a couple years ago. Pretty flat. Although there are some fun runs on the Hounoki side. Doesn't get a lot of snow though

You're just going to have to wait

Which is a good thing

Yeah, thats the one. Very cool shop, but its only the 500 yen vids I can afford from that place.

Anyway, I decided that I am going to head up that road to Nori from Hirayu on the weekend if the weather is good. Park at the gate and walk. How many hours am I up for? 1? 2? 3? Otherwise Ill sit around the house and get drunk all weekend.