• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just go to alpen and buy the kit.

get an old iron from the recycle shop not a new teflon one.

dont bevel unless you know how just straight sharpen

if you dont get the kit then get this

orange spray cleaner or wax remover not soap based

rags 100 yen lets say 3

p-tex stick

iron

regular file course on one side smoothish one the other

rust remover erasor like

sharpening file

scraper plastic and metal

plastic snowboard is better

one good brush.

last wax

As you live in Japan (soft snow most of the time) edge sharpening is not going to be needed - at most once or twice a year, unless you hit alot of rails.

So essential tuning kit would be:

1. Iron (either old non-teflon one as FT said, preferably without the holes in for steaming, or ski one from ICI sports or Alpen - best price i've seen is 5000 for good one in ICI)

2. Wax - important: good wax is faster but also much more expensive.

3. Scraper - plastic or metal for skiis.

Thats it - you don't need base cleaner, it's a waste of money and dries out your base. Skiiing will remove your old wax enough. If your really want to clean, buy the cheapest wax and hot wax all over, iron, and scrape off before it cools - this will clean the pores of the p-tex.

You can buy and edge file too, but you won't need to use it that often.

4. A green pan scrubber type thing - for 'structuring' - scraping lots of small lines/scratches lenghtways into the base / wax of your skis.

As skis don't work so well with a completely smooth flat base.

A metal bristled brush can do the same.

base cleaner although not always needed is something that should be used at times. I use sandpaper for base texture.

Toque there is no big deal if you ski steep stuff all the time really. but flat run outs etc I like to keep my gear nice. The biggest thing is not to let your edges rust and you already do that toque.

Good wax or cheap wax we arent racing and 1 or 2 seconds means jack really. I myself mix ghapite wax with cheap wax.

I'm tempted to go to waxing properly this year. I've usually only used that cheap spray on wax. What are the biggest/most noticeable differences between the spray on and proper stuff? (I know, probably a dumb question, but have never really done it, so don't know)

whoa, this isn't an OR.

plastic is for scraping wax, metal is for scraping excess p-tex (or base material)

p.s. toque, a well tuned ski is a joy to ride and requires less work (you know kind of the same reason you wax your skins...)

Quote:
Originally posted by sock_monkey:

whoa, this isn't an OR.

plastic is for scraping wax, metal is for scraping excess p-tex (or base material)

p.s. toque, a well tuned ski is a joy to ride and requires less work (you know kind of the same reason you wax your skins...)
ooops. was just copying FT on that one - assumed he knew better, as the edges would stop the metal scraper taking off any ptex on skis or something.
I've only used plastic scraper for waxing.

sorry:

plastic scraper.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
No but really
What is going to happen if my bases dry out?

Ski break in 2
P-tex peal off
Nothing but just going slow
confused.gif
lol.gif conclusive proof that Toque enjoys walking up the hills more than sliding down them.

Well waxed base will go like hot shit off a shovel, compared to not waxed.
Do you seriously like skiing slowly that much? :p

In fresh and packed snow conditions not waxed can be like having the breaks on (Having the completely wrong wax can me even more like having the breaks on though!) - it will be the difference between gliding accross a flat section and stopping nad having to walk (which obviously you prefer \:D ).

As far as the life of the ski goes - waxing (according to Travis Rice, erm actually, doesn't he have ADHD... ) makes the base harder and tougher each time you do it...
not sure about that, but it certainly makes riding more fun.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
base cleaner although not always needed is something that should be used at times.
Really? Can I quote you on this? ;\) lol.gif

C'mon, what is that supposed to mean
??????

Anyone???????