Hi! I have been riding for two years now, and like us all I can't wait for the new season to start!

I am still not so great at it, but last year went into the park for the first time and tried to jump. I was basically just rolling over the smallest kicker and was happy to just get off the ground and not land on my arse. I loved it though, and this year I'm definetly going back for more. Any advice on how to jump, how to get higher, and what tricks I should try first (assuming I get that far)

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by good_gallon:
What is the water jump? I'm in west Japan, a good long overnight bus ride to anywhere decent.
If youre in Kansai let us know - we have groups which regularly head to Nagano.

If youre further west then try Bushpig..maybe you can hit Mizuho

yeah mate, where are you at? just go straight-lining until you get confident at going quite big. Once you get that feeling of stability coming off and landing every jump, then try some grabs and maybe some 180s on smaller jumps. In fact you can practice 180s very easily off natural bumps etc on the slopes. Get used to doing that without catching your edges well before you try it on a jump.

Im definetly up for that! I intend to board as much as my wallet allows this season. Might try out some of the closer fields this year. Its definetly worth it, but a weekend to Nagano with two long nights on the bus and then back to work on Monday is a real killer...

One word: speed.

If you're going too slow, you're going to make things really tough for yourself. To me, speed is the most important factor to getting air.

You want to practice riding really fast before you hit park kickers, because when you take off you're going quick and when you land you're going even quicker! Be comfortable with that, it will help you a lot.

If you hit a park kicker too slow, chances are that you'll land on the flats and hurt your joints on impact at some point. When in doubt, go faster.

That said, baby steps gg....have you ever seen a kid learn to run before he/she had learnt to walk? There's a reason for that.

The first spin i learnt was a backside 180 and the first grab I learnt was an indy.

Hope that helps! Good luck...

Bend the knees ad go fast. actually relaxing is a good thing to do as if you get in the air then crap yourself then u eat it.

my fav is backside mute's 180 or 360. old school but still looks great when you do it nice and slow. style

OK, i taught a few lessons about how to jump. take it with a little salt though, i`ve also blown out my ACL and seperated my left shoulder (twice!) from jumping.

First off, can you ollie off of a flat area?

An ollie being a way of jumping off the tail of the board. this is the basis of all jumping, so if you want to do jumps, i really stress that you get this technique down first.

For an ollie, you use the flex of the board to help you jump. A lot of beginners jump off of both legs at the same time. Not a great habit, why waste your energy? Use the board to help you!

Before you jump, shift your weight slightly to the tail of the board, and jump off the tail.

when you are in the air, suck your knees up, and try to land with both feet at the same time.

3 things to remember when learning to jump

1- go straight. Simple as that. Turning while you jump is not reccommended until you advance a little. It will throw you off balance.

2- Keep the board as flat as possible before the jump. Do NOT jump off your edge! Jump off the base.

3- when you land, try to land with both feet simultaneously. And with a flat base! Don`t land on your edge first!

This is essentially the same technique, whether you are doing a tiny ollie over a snowball, or hitting a 30-foot kicker.

start small, and work your way up.

Once you feel comfortable in the air off of small jumps, try grabbing the board.

Probably the best one to start of with is an indy. Indy is when you grab your toe edge (preferably between your feet) with your rear hand.

when you grab, DON`T bend down to grab it! Suck your knees up!

and i don`t recommend trying 180`s until you can ride switch (backwards) fairly well.

as for speed, i have to go against Snosurf`s recommendation. If you just started jumping, you shouldn`t be trying any big park jumps that require a lot of speed to clear a long, flat area. Stay within your abilities

If you do want to try a jump, take your board off and check it out (but make sure you arent in anybodys way!).

walk around and see how big it is, what the take-off and landing is like, and watch some people jump it. See how much speed they need to make it to the landing safely.

Come to Yachiho in Nagano this winter, and i can give you a full freestyle lesson, and get you shredding.

Oyuki Kigan- You're kidding right?

Quote:
Snosurf: as for speed, i have to go against Snosurf`s recommendation. If you just started jumping, you shouldn`t be trying any big park jumps that require a lot of speed to clear a long, flat area. Stay within your abilities

I explicitly said that you have to work progressively:

Quote:

If you hit a park kicker too slow, chances are that you'll land on the flats and hurt your joints on impact at some point. When in doubt, go faster.

That said, baby steps gg....have you ever seen a kid learn to run before he/she had learnt to walk? There's a reason for that.

In no way did I say go straight to the big park kickers and point the nose from the top off the run in.... That's just stupid.

I was giving him advice on how to get air, like he asked. For that, you need speed. Simple.

i agree - i'm shit at park and all everyone ever says to me is SPEED, you need more SPEEEEEED - you gotta get over the fear of speed. i took their advice and cleared some kickers in NZ better than i used to and it felt right, cause i actually landed them.

but yeh you need a bit of speed to clear shit otherwise you will just hit the knuckle or the flats and that doesn't feel too sweet at all. but if you are just going over smaller kickers to start, you can build up the speed the more comfortable you get.

like i said, someone just starting to jump should not be hitting jumps big enough to have knuckles and flat.

if that was the case, i would agree with you. But as an instructor, i can`t recommend going off a jump that big if he`s only landed a roller once.

And i also am not a fan of the `go faster` theory either. I blew my knee out by going too fast off a small jump and landing flat.

the jumps he should be hitting should be small enough that even if he doesn`t make it to the landing, he should be able to absorb the impact easily. and ideally, beginner jumps don`t even have a table. They are rounded off.