I am new to Japan and looking to buy a season pass this year since I will be frequently hitting the hills. Right now it is Naeba vs. Nozawa.

I would like opinions ranging from which is more crowded, better runs, better atmosphere and so on.

Nozawa is bigger and better than Naeba and not as crowded. There is some fun to be had at Kagura which is linked to Naeba but not sure that it would be worth a season's pass. Then again, Kagura is probably a good place to learn the basics of BC as it has a pretty liberal attitude to out of bounds riding and it is possible to hike the surrounding hills and ride back into the resort. Lots of easy tree runs within the resort as well.

Not sure how easy it would be to get from Gunma to Nozawa though.

Ota! whatup! I used to do a radio show at the Ota radio station (FM Taro).

#1 - get a car. you need it. not only for snowboarding.

but even with a car driving in Gunma is nuts. It's always crowded thumbsdown.gif

Naeba gets really crowded but it has the asagai gelande which is a really good (but damn crowded) park. Excellent pipe there.

Why do you want a season's pass?? From Ota, you're within striking distance of so so many resorts in Gunma/Niigata and Nagano. If you make some Japanese friends (don't know if you do or not) you'll find that they go to different resorts alot, and if you're stuck wanting to use your pass then you'll be going solo alot. Go to Maebashi and check out the Trickstar shop or Flea in Takasaki or Family in Ota and get to know the shop guys and you'll meet the local riders. Go on shop tours (which are expensive but great ways to meet a lot of people)

Hey does anyone know anything about leasing a car here in Japan? Dont want the hassle to buy and my company said I could lease through them. Anything to watch out for? Basically I need it so I can go to the mountains and enjoy the slopes!! Come on snow, fall already!!!

4-6 hours? No, I don't think so. From where I live (Yuzawa/Muikamachi area), Nozawa is normally a 70-75 minute drive in summer. In winter, and I have been a number of times in varying conditions, that same journey usually takes around 90 minutes.

The boarders I have met so far all go to Naeba, but I am not so keen about loads of people. The season pass is because I am trying to do like thirty days on the mountain which means if I just pick a good resort and stick with it I will save some money. The cheapest lift price I have seen of 3000 would end up adding up to like 90000 at the end of the season.

Which road?

Route 117 between Tsunan and Nozawa Onsen?

Correct. BUT it was not closed all season - just in that crazy period we had - and it being closed was also something that has never happened before, so hardly the norm. It is in fact usually a very good road and nice and wide.

beav-o, it doesn't have to be large groups of people. who knows? you might get in with 2 or 3 guys and be a tight crew.

I find it really boring going to a resort by myself and riding alone all day.

but then again, like you said you do save money. best situation would be if you made friends who go to Nozawa too.

When it comes to Naeba, the main problem is not roads closed from snow but from heavy traffic. If you are not at Nerima highway entrance by 5:30 in the morning, don’t bother going there at all. Sometimes it is even faster not to get on the highway and just go all the way on the 17 th national road. The road towards Nozawa is not that packed so basically although it is farther than Naeba it would take you more or less the same time to get there as to get to Naeba. Terrain wise Nozawa bits Naeba hands down but if you are interested in park riding then Naeba is definitely better.