Konichiwa,

got the big mission to Hokkaido lined up for mid Feb. Was planning on Niseko but have read a few comments saying it's not that steep and I don't want to straight line it every time. Now I hear the pow is deep but can someone tell me where it's steep?

I'm really excited about this trip so any info/tips greatly appreciated.

Cheers all

BIGRED1 (NZ)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's tough....

You're going to hokkaido but you want steep.

My advice would be to spend some time at niseko and rusutsu searchin out the 'steeper' areas (ie Annapuri bowls/ some hanazono tree areas/hirafu peak area) then head to Furano for a a week or so. I've never been to Furano but from what i hear it has some steeper terrain than the Niseko area - only problem there is (apparently) ski patrol nazism.

If you really want steep then I am told that Hakuba and other Honshu areas are the place to visit. But since you've already organised hokkaido that's probably not much good to you.

Don't worry, you'll still have fun and you won't have to straight-line too much if you know where to go... Make sure you have a nice long, fast, well-waxed pow board - this will help you out.

Niseko is not that steep... but steep enough for me in the trees off Hanazono and to far skier's right of the Gondola (on the edge of the "No Go" zone, but not a big area available, and gets tracked out early. La Ponte has a few spots in the trees too. How steep you need?

Quote:
Originally posted by chop:
Fattwins, the topo does'nt show but there is
Chop mate, I'd be throwing away your topo map if it doesn't show you slope angle. More to the point, if it doesn't show it then it isn't (a topo)

Are you using a road map? ;\)

BigRed - As a kiwi you might be disappointed by the terrain in Niseko: its like deep Utah pow on Australian mountains with Japanese trees. Your best bet is to take a good tree board and enjoy that aspect of the terrain rather than look for steeps in a naturally un-steep region (although, there are some steeps around the place
 Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
topos show everything thats why they are topos
Topo maps glaze over small terrain features
They shouldn't ever be taken for an exact measure of the topography

I'm really noticing on my new metric topo maps that many features are missing thumbsdown.gif
 Quote:
another waterfall toque?
I dont think a topo will hide steep terrain though.
haha
No not again but that is a good example of not trusting maps

A topo will hide a bit of steep terrain here and there if it is not that big. Might get lost in the contour lines.

In my case my new metric maps show easy ridge travel but in real life there a loads of ups/downs and in places hides the difficulties I might encounter

Thats what i mean really though you cant hide a 500 meter steep section. you can hide a 50 to 100 meter steep section.

I will say this i dont think that youll have to straiht line everything at niseko. You are locked in now more than likely so just enjoy the powder and go early and quit early. Head back out for the night riding trees if it is dumping.

In the future look elsewhere in japan for steeper terrain.

Quote:
Niseko is not that steep... but steep enough for me in the trees off Hanazono
They're some really fun trees. Look out for rock drops, natural hits, jumps and jibs. Wouldn't really want them to be any steeper otherwise it would almost take the funness out of the freestyle elements.

Only problem is that every man and is dog knows about them. That's why it's important to get there first on a fresh day....

Yo thanks for all the replys!

No I'm not locked in to a final destination yet so maybe Niseko is not for me. I missed all the early pow this year in NZ and it's very hard for me to talk about it..sob.

I want freshies, massive soul carves on my red supermodel, and many good times with some new friends.

Thats not unrealistic eh.

Cheers

BIGRED1

start searching a bit

youve got names

check this site for real live heli pics of the resorts.

Where to go depends on how avie aware you are as well.

niseko

furano

hakuba

myoko

nozawa

shiga kogen

hachimantai north honshu

yuzawa

That gives you alot to think about. as do you want to tour?

Quote:
steeper equals less pain on landings powder or not. Ive seen people snap skis in deep snow on 20 to 30 degree landings.
ive bit a good chunk of my tongue off as well landing in deep soft snow.
so Fatts, does that mean you speak with a lisp now.
 Quote:
Originally posted by bigred1:
Konichiwa,

got the big mission to Hokkaido lined up for mid Feb. Was planning on Niseko but have read a few comments saying it's not that steep and I don't want to straight line it every time. Now I hear the pow is deep but can someone tell me where it's steep?

I'm really excited about this trip so any info/tips greatly appreciated.

Cheers all

BIGRED1 (NZ)

Hi Big red First time for me ever coomenting on a chat page.There is plenty of pretty good country to see in the Niseko area.Some of it you need to hike the peak and some ie annapouri is good with a 5 minute hike.With all the fresh pow all the time it seems that steep does not realy take a praesident over fresh tracks all day.