My family and I are heading to Japan for 9 days from 10th January from Australia and London.

I think my family want to go to a resort on the mainland. Is it worth me trying to persuade them to go to Niseko or are there some good resorts on the mainland. We are concerned about the time it will take to get up to Niseko as we want to spend a few days in Tokyo and perhaps a night in Kyoto.

Can anyone recommend a good resort? We are both snowboarders and skiiers and I am at beginners level snowboarding.

Thanks

This forum has got a STEEP slant towards Nagano/Honshu, as opposed to Niseko. I think that Niseko's definitely got its pluses but there is no reason to go that far. Niseko is over represented by tour companies but there is a plethora of good places to ski in Nagano and elsewhere. You can arguably find better skiing on Honshu and the cultural experience will probably be more rewarding too.

How far is Honshu from Tokyo? (Sorry for the ignorance and lack of time to look it up myself but i'm under the pump at work). Can we get a train? Can anyone recommend some of the good ones there.

I've never been to Japan and I would like to get a more cultural experience than lots of Aussies in bars.

Oh and the fire festival (maybe one of the most amazing things i've ever witnessed in japan... twice wooo) is on the 15th january, so you'll be there for that. You can read about it and see photos on that previous weblink. If you are looking for culture with your ski holiday, being at Nozawa onsen when their legendary fire festival is on, is your answer!

how much do you want to spend?

Are you looking for budget or

high class.

Fire festival is good yes but you better book now

and if you arent of age it isnt much of a thing really.

Nozawa is huge yet but it lacks any sort of nitelife the last few seasons. Every year my favorite spots close down. The best italian place closed just last season shocking.

Slanted towards Nagano Honshu cause most of us have been there and done that in Hokkaido. We dont fall for the tricks and the gmicks of marketing as we know what is on the other side.

If you want to easiest trip though yuzawa nigata is easy.

Book now for nozawa

where's the nightlife anywhere in japanese ski resorts? even hakuba is lacking, but that may change - and they don't want to sit in bars with aussies anyway.

nozawa is tradtional, and small ---- easy to walk around and explore by foot, unlike hakuba.

the fire festival on 15th in nozawa is an absolutely amazing and unique sight to behold, i highly reccommend it.

i'm sure if you stay in nozawa there must be more than one little drinking den and somewhere to find some good japanese food right?

in terms of transport yuzawa niigata is easy cause you can take the bullent train the whole way there.

If you want to come north rather than west, then Yamagata Zao is worth considering. It's easy to get too, 3 hours from Tokyo by shinkansen, and reasonably large by Japanese standards. It's an onsen town, so you'll be able to get some culture too.

Thanks soooo much for the help.

We are not looking for budget. Mid to High range would be fine.

I suppose we are not looking to meet loads of people in bars or anything but one or two bars would be fun and some restaurants. is it ski on ski off in Nozawa or does that just depend on where you stay?

Any recommendations for Nagano?

The fire festival does look great.

Fire Festival is da bomb! We had such a blast there 2 years ago. Trying to head back again this year for it thumbsup.gif For the festival alone Id recommend Nozawa Lua.

Night life is generally lacking here. But for another good resort look at Shiga. Its Japan's biggest resort area and terrain for all levels too.

you could search on the snowjapan site or www.outdoorjapan.com rather than the forum for accommodation info, but yes do book up if you are going to go to nozawa, cause the fire festival is a big thing. the village is small so i'm sure there is somewhere you could stay within easy walking/skiing distance of the hill. shiga kogen ski area isn't far away if you rent a car or something. sorry i live in hakuba, so i'm not an expert on nozawa, but it's a great little town with onsens (it will feel like japan if that's what you are looking for), the fire festival and a great ski hill.

hey cb ya gonna try to go this year? i wanna go again, i've been the last 2 years, it's so awesome.

EBC there are now 4 to 6 bars on the Ecoland strip things are looking good for this season. IF you want info about Nozawa look up "The Outpost" in Nozawa.

If you cant find the site please try then ill find it for you.

Im a big fan of Nozawas skiing but as a winter resort it is dead. No english really, things closing, lifts being sold off to china. Beginners must stay mostly at the bottom or they are forced into a long slow ski to the bottom on cat tracks.

EBc have you ever skied Nozawa or been there at any other time other than the fire festival?

If you go to Nozawa and want to Japanese treatment then there are a few good places. about 9000 a night with food.

Mr. Wiggles what is that place that we stayed st name again. The nice Japanese place.

>hey cb ya gonna try to go this year? i wanna go again, i've been the last 2 years, it's so awesome.

most definitely. Ill take nenkyu if I have to - will do what we did 2 years ago. Drive up to Hakuba then head to Noz the next day early morning. Come back after the fire festival.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:

Slanted towards Nagano Honshu cause most of us have been there and done that in Hokkaido. We dont fall for the tricks and the gmicks of marketing as we know what is on the other side.

Unless Fatts went during last weekend.....

Niseko in Hokkaido is not suitable for anyone not liking lots of snow in a family environment on the slopes.

Honshu is the way to go.