Sorry everyone - I become a total weather otaku this time of the year onwards.

Since we have no Resort reports to look at for now, it's good to go to weathernews Japan (in Japanese, but an excellent site):

http://weathernews.jp

Good to look at the cam in Asahikawa and see single-figure temps, with night time close to zero...

mind you, it's about minus ten or less there in January

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night hovered around freezing for much of the night in Hirafu. It's looking like a pretty cold weekend with temps unlikely to get much above 8. Should get a decent amount of snow on Yotei over the next 4 days or so.

It may have no bearing at all on the snow season, but there seems to have been a marked lack of typhoon activity this year, at least in Kanto.

I just read the updated comments on the Niseko Now site which sound encouraging. I agree with the skepticism on the seasonal forecast. The law of averages suggests that this season won't be as good as last, but even if it's half as good, we'll all be loving it...

Yes, it's good to have this news. However, I also wish someone would fix the Kiroro webcam link. I used to love to check that out every morning to see the conditions there but for the past few weeks it has only been showing a shot from Oct 6 and no updates.

Mt Yotei received a good amount of snow yesterday, see pic below for a shot of it from the base of Hirafu gondola this morning. The snow that fell on Annupuri has mostly melted already but it's good to see it's starting clap.gif

NisekoNow_134.jpg?

Thanks for the great pic, Go Native.

Skidaisuki, I don't ONLY want to look at webcams with snow in them. In fact I spend a lot of time looking at webcams of...better not say, kids read these forums too!

thursday nothing much to report from Niseko today in terms of snow. It was pretty cold last night, down to about -2. Today has been clear and cool and looks like another cold night coming up. doesn't look like any more snow until Sunday into Monday.

Unlikely to get any snow down to village level for a couple of weeks yet. Most people around here are hoping it holds off for a bit because of all the construction still going on. For those who are returning to Niseko this season you'll get quite a shock at the amount of new buildings that have gone up.

Looks like a cooler week for the whole of northern Japan this week - hardly surprising but welcome nonetheless. Max daytime temps in Asahikawa in the low teens, nights around freezing level.

Even Tokyo is fresher. Another month perhaps until the real resort snow is starting in earnest...