Hey there, I'm new to this whole forum thing, but have been reading and see that some people are quite experienced!

I hope nobody gets upset because they think my topic has been covered before, but I promise I read many previous discussions and didn't find the info I'm really after. So, here goes...

I'm a snowboarder with season experience in north america. I'm a newbie Tokyo resident and looking to go to Hokkaido for 2 weeks in mid december. i'm looking for a place to go that is a low key resort/ski area with awesome powder (obviously). Niseko sounds great and maybe i'll go there sometime, but would like to find a more chilled out place to ride. would realllllly like peoples opinions on this. I know they'll all be different, but that's great.

cheers \:\)

kudos for saying that you've read up and did your homework. makes us answering the same questions over and over all the better.

where in NA have you ridden?

how low key? how much powder? knee-sec-ko has what you may be looking for, but depending on what you want, there are plenty of options

the ropeways would and could be nice. I would only go if i had gear though to explore.

Mid December is not good for your only ski trip. If it is one of many then fine but... The chances of it not being deep enough to venture off trail is high.

Furano tends to open early but the patrol are very Nazi maybe the most strict in all of Japan.

If its not your only trip then heck go for it and have fun.

Also if it snows early on honshu you can just hop on a train to anywhere near here.

thanks heaps for all your replies. seems dec may not be the best bet, but it's the only extended time off i have. will definately be looking to do some weekend trips later in the season.

dizzy, thanks for the kudos ?@#??@! i've done seasons at whistler and mt bachelor (oregon). looking for mt bachelor rather than whistler, but i guess the big resorts are big for a reason, so maybe i'll end up at knee-sec-ko this time round...

zebra i was in a similar situation to you last year and i tried out niseko... not meaning to sound patronising here but it really isn't a bad place and I think it's probably a good introductory mountain to visit if it's your first time riding in the country.

I think another early season start is on the cards so there should be plenty of white stuff on the ground mid-december (by my reckoning!)

Good luck mate

Quote:
Originally posted by snosurf:

I think another early season start is on the cards so there should be plenty of white stuff on the ground mid-december (by my reckoning!)
Mate, any chance you could give me an early season stoke forecast for Europe as well? What you got going on down there in WA, weather guru?

when you talk mid december what is mid december?

10th to the 20th the 20th to th 30th?

That can make a difference. and being in country you can hold off a while and then go on a whim. By waiting instead of booking you can see where the snow is falling.

If you are a MT B fan and Whistler Fan you might like the ropeways better than niseko.

snosurf, thanks for your comments re niseko. i am kind of starting to think the way you said. i guess i should go there at least once hey! (btw, didn't sound patronising. good call really!)

fattwins, mid dec is from 9th til 21st....only time i've got, so no choice. if i could leave booking til then i would, but i presume i would miss out if i did that..?

snosurf...if the hot girls are gonna be in europe, where the hot guys gonna be?

i dont think that you will miss out that is off time. from about the 22nd to the 10th is when things get really busy.

Remember that you can hop a train or a ferry to hokkaido. That means you are not limited in travel options like overseas travelers are.

Ill say this if you cant get into any place at that time in hokkaido, ill let you stay at my house free of charge. Thats how confident I am.

zebra mid Dec can be a little difficult off piste if the season is slow to start. Most areas will need well in excess of a metre for all the sasa grass (bamboo) to be covered. As some have suggested the ropeway at Asahi dake should have some good snow (as it's around the highest lifted point in Hokkaido) and it's certainly laid back and has plenty of backcountry options although beware the weather can get pretty extreme above the ropeway and you'd need to know your stuff to head out from there.

If you want to ski Niseko, mid December is not too busy as most of the Aussie hordes don't arrive until after xmas. Rusutsu is a great mountain also although accomodation options are limited outside of the big resort hotel. There are a couple of backpacker style lodges though.

For those interested in what the climatologists are forecasting for this winter check out this link

Cold Season Outlook

Quote:
Originally posted by db le spud:
 Quote:
Originally posted by snosurf:

Mate, any chance you could give me an early season stoke forecast for Europe as well? What you got going on down there in WA, weather guru?
db looks like the outlook for Europe and specifically around the Alps region is for average temps and above average precip. Should mean a good winter.

Check out the following link

Met Office: Winter 06/07

Thanks for the link.

"The snowfall amount outlook calls for both near-normal and below-normal conditions with a 40% probability in the Japan Sea side districts."

That doesn't tell us much about timing unfortunately. I wouldn't mind a below average season. Ten metres over three months would be much nicer than 15m in two months.