I have been speaking to a number of people over the last few weeks in regards to a recent aquisition I have made. I was just wondering if there is anyone on the forums who is, or know of anyone who is looking at buying a place in Hakuba this season.

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ OZ:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
you should check the laws regarding buying and selling in Japan TJ...
Have done and can sell.
Actually it is not on our plans at the moment. We really do want to get this place up and running and creating a nice lifestlye for ourselves. Having said that though it is an investment and if someone came along and offered us a substantial amount of money to sell then I'm sure we would at least consider the offer.
Anyone?

Nice one Matt.

PM to tell me what/where it is.

I'll buy when I find the right place. Just a roomy family home though, and may build new for cheaper heating and more comfort. I'll leave accom to you guys.

Its a hotel..thats probably as much as I should say here. I've been riding in Hakuba seven seasons now and been looking for a place for three years and was beginning to think that I would never find it but..finally!!

Good to see someone who has spent a reasonable amount of time living in Japan deciding to invest in Hakuba. Someone who probably by now would have a reasonable understanding of Japanese society/culture and has experienced and had to deal with the cultural differences/problems that non-Japanese face. I could go on and give examples but I would hope most of you reading this know what I mean.

I have nothing against these people who are planning on "living their dreams" and I honestly wish them well in following them. A lot of these people who seem to be interested in Hakuba are comming from a country which especially in the past few years have seen house prices skyrocket and made many people wealthy. Now that the good deals have gone in their home country they have to look further afield for better investments. Some of these people probably fueled by the Australian "love affair with property" (same situation in N.Z as well) see the very cheap prices in Hakuba extremely attractive and as a way of "moving foward"(sorry about using your quote Panhead_pete, nothing personal). I just dont think that by spending a winter or even a whole year would give you an understanding of what living in Japan longterm is like. Even if you have the money to throw at the cultural frustrations/problems that you will face it still wont solve all of them.

I think any investment in which Hakuba may benefit from is great and as long as the people who are doing it are in it for the longterm, and that their investment is lifestyle driven and not just financially driven. I hope these people the best of success.

I also want to say that I like Krusty's post. Do stuff for the right reasons. Get involved because it's what you want to do and what you know about. And be sensitive to the Japanese locals.

Good point about a certain country and their property market - Japanese use to think similarly about property, and look what happened here.............