• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a vodka lass too but this summer the pictures of the beers on the train looked so tempting that I'm really craving beer at the mo.

Lasonil-wise my mum is coming over on Oct 25th so if you haven't had any luck by then let me know.

thanks clap.gif will let you know if i don't get some

saw a physio today, who said no problem, just takes a LONG time for all that fluid to go - reckons my muscle tissue is fine - said exercise, such as biking will speed up the de-swelling process... so bring on more of this almost-autumn-sunshine!

Quote:
Originally posted by eskimobasecamp:
- said exercise, such as biking will speed up the de-swelling process...
BoobCamp – I am pleased to hear that the Doc put a little future sunshine on your injury. And his opinion: a little light exercise. Just what I said.
  • 3 weeks later...

i'm on the mountain bike recovery plan and after only 3 days after picking up my repaired and ready to go bike, my leg feels much better for it - i'm doing about 50 minutes everyday, last night in the dark through bear territory ho ho. still fluid there, i think i really bashed the muscle, it's going to take a while, seems it's a big injury. i'll be fine on resort but my backcountry plans are out the window for now and i won't be buying skis to put the AT bindings on until i'm fully OK. unless i make a faster recovery i don't imagine doing any major mid-winter bc trips - only spring. i feel like my leg is getting there though, slowly very very very slowly. muscles are all good biking, it's just all that fluid - and the area is still sensitive and has nerve damage. thanks dizzzzzzz. how are ya?

cb - there's still nerve and muscle damage on top from what i can feel - so i think that fluid is there for a reason, but the biking despite only 3 days makes it feel much better, and perhaps even slightly smaller - so i'll keep on going with that, see what happens after a few more days. if it's still there in december or something maybe i'll have to drain it, but for now i'm letting it do its own thing slowly. that's ok i've accepted it and the fact that it feels even better today and maybe smaller makes me feel so happy. i seriously can't wait for the day when my leg is normal. i realise how much we take 'being normal and uninjured' for granted.

pp - i put on arnica every morning, i don't think any topical lotion will make a difference now - not really bruising as such, more like scar tissue/muscle repair and fluid slowly disappearing. thanks ;\)

ft - just on the flats around hakuba for 50 minutes, not much speed involved or anything that knocks me about, just about getting some fitness, stamina and injury recovery in. feels really good.

glad to hear its getting better ebc. Theres nothing worse for me than not being able to be active in the way I want. Especially as its my main outlet in getting rid of stress.

Its a bummer that you wont be strong early season and not in shape to tour. Enjoy the pow and tour in the Spring thumbsup.gif

Just dont screw it up and make it worse ;\)

well ok here's the advice i got from a sports injury doctor at home after i described to him at length and in detail my injuries.....

"Wow!

It sounds as if you have severely damaged the big thigh muscles, which then

bled internally. A clot would form, and it this that takes so long to go

away. The extra fluid will go fairly quickly. If you played for Man Utd, you

would get Rolls Royce treatment with daily physio, and so on. However, you

are doing all the right things, especially exercising now, with heat in

between. The more circulation you can get through the muscle, the quicker

the clot will be broken up and taken away. Not just that, though - the

exercise should prevent the clot calcifying, an uncommon complication but a

nuisance if it happens.

I would avoid ANY attempt to drain anything - leave nature to do the job.

Carry on with heat and exercise, as much as is comfortable, try x2 or 3

daily if you can - you may find cycling on a static bike one of the best

exercises. Running might hurt too much, but is fine if not. Same with

rowing.

If you need me to have a look when you are here, please let me know."

more from the doc....

"Length of time is difficult. Given what has happened to you, I guess another

2-3 months before you feel fully back to normal. But that is a guess.

As to the nerve, yes, it should return, hopefully to normal but if not, the

neighbouring nerves should restore partial sensation. Occasionally it

doesn't recover, but the only bit affected will be the lateral thigh.

I guess the one thing you wouldn't want is vigorous massage, when I think

about it. Stretching is fine, gentle massage too. But you don't want to

create any more bleeding or injury.

Blue skies, hot springs, skinny dipping - sounds bliss! Roll in the snow and

back in the hot water? Good for muscle injuries and morale... Nice one!"

"You will go back to normal, so should expect to do all that you could before

the injury. It is important, though, to take your time, and regain

confidence.

Yes the hot springs are perfect - daily is great. I would love to try it

myself!!"

Feel much better having asked the lovely Dr Duck's advice thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

• 3 weeks later...

EBC,

That's a great photo you've posted of your fall - nice rad-doll technique. I hope by that stage of your descent you were as out of control as the photo suggests? What was the angle of the slope - from the photo it looks to be about 20-25 degrees. :p