• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAVING READ THE FORUM FOR SOME TIME i FINALLY HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO POST SOME QUESTIONS TO YOU GUYS.

MY days of high excitement are over but may be matched by bringing a wife and 4 boys to Hakuba for Xmas after jagging 6 Frequent flyer flights (doesnt anyone want to fly to jpn) -Ill be the one that looks like mother goose on the mountain!

The first of many questions to you guys are

What would you think about hiring a car to go from hakuba/Nagano to Osaka when leaving . Despite the hassle this is much cheaper than rail for 6 people. Do you think that is feasible.

yes easily feasible. But remember that to do the drive in reasonable time, you'll need to use the expressway which costs money. Have you factored that into your costs? Also, navigating Osaka CAN be a bit of a nightmare in a car if you don't know the area well. Most rental cars have navigation (gps) systems, but are in Japanese. Ask the rental comany if they have any with English programs running.

Thanks so much BP -if i can be so familiar. where would you pick the car up?and can you suggest a company that i can actually use the website on . It seems that ?national have a website that could do it.

Im already having nightmares about loosing a child in the Osaka subway and seriously considering some UHF radios.

The train back would be about 50K yen for 6 vs about 25 for the car for 1 day. I do enjoy a driving challenge.

We are having the new year holiday in Osaka and back to Aus Jan 1

no worries. as for sites, I'll get back to you with some links if I can find some. OK, so that cost will be cheaper, even with the highway toll, which I'm guessing would be somewhere around 7000 yen?? The Osaka subway, while maybe a little daunting is not all that bad, and I wouldn't worry... hang on, I just reread your post. 4 boys?? eek.gif how young? Yep, that could be a hassle. Hehe. What kind of driving are you used to? Driving in Osaka and using the toll roads is nothing like I had ever experienced in Aus. It can be very confusing/frustrating. But, it is doable.

Yes 4 boys and wife-should be fun lost in Osaka -all hungry etc etc.Fortunately if you can stop by the road anywhere they will love that -just out on the expressway and pee . They never want to go simultaneously of course. Boys 14/12/10/8,

Tx Ill check out the hertz website but perhaps sanity might prevail over the driving challenge!

Any suggestions for a Xmas day lunch?

above comment probably siad tongue in cheek. But, stopping on the expressway is a huge cause of fatal accidents in Japan. The tollroads mostly have very thin emergency stopping lanes, and have walls running down both sides. If you do drive, then I suggest taking CBs advice and drive to Osaka and then bus or train it from there to the airport.

Robest: Listen to BP. Driving in Osaka is a pain in the a_s. They have a big loop in the middle that is very difficult to figure out.

If you wan tto rent a car pick it up in Kyoto as the expressway from there is quite easy.

Take the Haruka express to Kyoto and then go from there.

Also remember you need snow tires or chains from a certain point depending on conditions. This could add a bit to the cost.

And with that misorano wobbles off to the kitchen to mix up a shochu as it's 5PM on a Friday nite.

robest - I have 2 boys, 14 and 9 ( I guess I fell asleep and missed on the other 2) and we are also making plans to be in Hakuba for Xmas. Having been there several times, (we live near Tokyo) I think you are much better off with a rental van - for getting to and from the airport and for getting around in Hakuba. It will work out cheaper and much more convenient with a family and all your gear.