• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by dizzy:
looks sweet, the website.
yeah, i wonder what kind of video anyone can come up with within the parameters and time constraint sasaki, yoshi et al had in courchevel. what a sick area to be in thumbsup.gif

if you're gonna be at the lodge this season, would you mind bringing up some j-vidoes you have? i'd love to check them out sometime
...think we WONT be at the lodge this year? Ewok and I have a room reserved for the winter pratically ;\) \:D

Yup, will bring em up for sure then and am lookin forward to getting a few of the newer ones. Heard Icon 5 has the Ueno and Kono bros in it as well - the rippin Nozawa crew cool.gif
 Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
Dizzy, I wanna see Palette the J-snowboardin vid that also has daisuke and yoshis Courchevel trip - saw a premier of that from a J-ski dvd I got. Some of the lines look sick and the places the J-boarders go are pretty sweet too.

www.istpictures.com

I read that article in fall line yesterday and went and watched the video last night. I had my doubts when i first heard you guys talking since I've been watching the ist pictures vids since they started and I always thought (and still do) that they are crap videos. this Courchevel video is nothing great. Sasaki skis some nice lines and his shots are decent but the snowboarder Ota looks like a beginner. the camera angles & video quality are on a paint-by-numbers level. seriously, don't go buy this video before watching it

yeah but remember the parameters they to make the video. like, what, 3 days or something. in terrain that was brand new to these guys in a country they didn't know well. winning that award says something

i still wanna see it

they don't have the original music that they edited it to since they didn't get the copyright licenses to use it.

the opening is original & funny.

re: 1 battery. it's a 5 hour battery so it shouldn't pose much of a problem since they only shoot a few seconds worth at a time.

re: editing overnight for an 8min flic is plenty of time

They had 4 days to shoot and truth be told, it is hard to get enough footage for 8 mins with only 2 guys. They did have a guide though. The snow looked awesome.

I've been in the neighbouring 2 resorts (les menuires & val thorens) and that terrain is not only huge but gnarly.

Just watched Escramble by Volcom

awesome video. Really takes a step away from the rut that all snowbo videos are in. Sure there's lots of bc booters but it's just a bit different to keep it interesting. The beginning is boring imo though. it's just willie yi-uoloma (whatever his name is!) doing so-so jumps. The best part is near the middle where it's Terje, bryan iguchi and jamie lynn. Terje kills it in the woods going mach 10 on his MALOLO. there's some great footage in there. Jamie Lynn's bc descents are so smooth. All snowboarders should study his turns thumbsup.gif

There's lots of really interesting bc runs which really made the movie for me. Shaun White shows up with some killer transfer jumps. Too bad his part is so short. Gigi represents and Bjorn Leines ends it with some gnarly drops. I think that guy is crazy.

All in all a really cool video which I definitely will be watching again & again. thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

speaking of icon and landmade, another local flick that i wanna see is

the new one from Darrell Miller (no relation to Warren) and his Snow Storm productions

the same shots of the Tetons may get repetative for some, but i love it. matt combs going off cody peak in the last seven seconds of the trailer

this is cody peak (no matt combs in this picture, but he goes straight off the dinosaur/alligator nose slope in the middle!):

012101.jpg

and brief article on these guys, micah black from tgr used to film with them:

www.planetjh.com/anderson_2006_09_27_ski.html

\:\) Well, I'll watch my mouth cause he's doubtless an infinitely better rider than I am or ever will be. But he almost 'hurt' his buddy below him.

(although I'd guess that it was going to slide even just with #1 on it)

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is: another video review by yours truly!

That by Forum

Holy SHit was I surprised by this video!!! Here is the short review: this is the best freestyle video of the year!

long review:

I was blown away by the opening - as an editor I have a really critical eye for videography so when I get blown away, well, it's something. The music was really good throughout the vid, most of it was stuff I usually never listen to, but it fit really well with the footage. The riding was awesome. They know how to make rails interesting (not like absinthe). There was no big mountain riding or even big mountain jibbing, but I didn't really notice. There is tons of jibbing and some really big drops and of course backcountry booters. This is THE video you want to put on when you wake up in the morning before you go riding. This will get you stoked thumbsup.gif

It even brought back the funny rider intro skits and they were actually pretty good!

I was eating dinner when I watched this and well, I had to stop the video halfway through so that I could actually eat!!!! My eyes were glued to the screen and I couldn't even look down to find my chicken (wait, that sounds rude :p )

I liked this way better than the Volcom video. Hey, what else can you say when the 2 closing riders are Devun Walsh and JP Walker???

Peter Line was in the opening credits but I missed his part somehow. I will have to rewatch it.

Anyways, there you go. Anyone else seen it?

I know Bushpig will have a review of it soon, right BP, wink wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
another video review by yours truly!

That by Forum

Holy SHit!!!

The music was really good throughout the vid

The riding was awesome. They know how to make rails interesting

There was no big mountain riding

This is THE video you want to put on when you wake up in the morning before you go riding.
Oh dude, it hurt to read that. Why you man? Of all the people that could have said these horrible things why did it have to be you??!!! Why couldn't it have been some baggy arsed gansta wannabe wanker who I didn't like in the first place?

I dunno, I.... I just don't feel the same way about you now.

How could you say such things?

aaaaah, Kuma, why you? Why???! \:\(

because snowboarding is not only about doing steep lines. I don't spend every day in the high alpine and I do have park days, so I appreciate this video for what it is.

plus the editing is soooo slick which is really important to me

yes, ebc, when anamoly comes i will bring it to hakuba. the sha-cho of TGR Japan told me he'd send on DVD to me when they arrive. funny guy. he's a surfer.

hopefully will be in hakuba next week ;\)

• 1 month later...

yes, eBc, it's offical, no banff film festival this year \:\( i was in patagonia the other day, just bought a new climbing harness and patagonia store, the sponsor of banff film fest, was close by. they confirmed it.

oh well.

but, here's another to add to this year's list: Respect The Movie quick time trailer