I've pretty much come to the realisation that I need to snowboard in Japan this season, cause 2008 is a scary 17 months away! I need my fix. However I have already booked flights to Bangkok and have a concrete plan to travel SE Asia. I could slap Japan onto the end of this trip, it will be expensive and awkward (maybe not even possible if I can't change flights!). I would be looking at a timeframe in Japan of roughly 2-2.5 weeks beginning on February 13th. I basically really need some advice to decide whether or not to go ahead with this though. I'm looking at both Nozawa Onsen and Shiga Kogen, can't afford Hokkaido and visited Hakuba this year, Niseko twice before that. I saw a bit of Shiga this year when I got lost trying to find snow monkeys and it looked pretty nice, my dad and brother went to Nozawa this year in Jan and rave about it though, they had the pictures to back it up! The small village feel there is very appealing to me, that was one annoyance in Hakuba being on a budget as it was so damn spread out!

I've looked at the reports and the snow in this period, although deep, just doesn't seem to fall that much. I'm not after waiste deep, but probability of pow is the make or break here. Do these resorts differ much in the amount of snow they get? Is either considerably more inferior during Feb? I know these things are really subjective, especially round this time, but spending two weeks there with ice and slush would be pretty annoying.

Thanks ahead for any advice or suggestions!

-Steve

I would've thought that going from Australia you could do Thailand and then drop off all your shopping back in Oz before picking up your skis (or board) and head for Japan.

Being on a long trip you would have so much luggage that getting anywhere would be a pain.

Yeah good point but I can't afford two flights, plus Tokyo is only a couple of hours further from Melbourne compared to Bangkok. Going to Tokyo with Thai Airways alows me to have a stop-over which I would take in Bangkok to travel for 3 months in SE Asia, leaving my board in storage which costs next to nothing per day there. I'll also be travelling very light, with any stuff I don't need in Japan going home with my girlfriend. Cheers

Thanks guys. I think I'll take the plunge \:\) . Only drawback right now is the $650AU extra plane ticket, and doubling of expenses since 10 weeks in SE Asia costs less than 2 weeks in Japan! Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Yeh definitely good timing man...But you've got it all long, you only need to spend a few weeks in thailand then a month or 2 in Japan!

Thailand is smelly, sticky, and the only country in the world where you walk down the street at night and chicks rush out in packs grabbing your ass. But that said, these are the kind of chicks you really DON'T want touching you there!

On the positive side, you will understand what it would be like to go out if you were a girl! Also the Thai foood is awesome, on par with Japanese cuisine. I recommend the Tom Yum Goong soup - a spicy flavour explosion!

Thanks for asking Will :p . This wednesday I'll be going into the travel agent to get info on dates and importantly prices. It's looking more likely to happen! Just got back from 4 days riding at Hotham here, worked on my tan and cutting my board to bits on rocks! What more reason do I need to get some quality snow!

Snosurf, thanks for the tip in regards to Thailand. I'm spending about 10 days in the north, but then heading straight into Loas for 25 days, 20 in Cambodia and about 20 in southern Thailand around the Tarutao islands (close to Malaysia but not affected by the Muslim insurgency). So we'll be avoiding most of the countries negatives. A few days in Bangkok to buy all the essentials though. Can't wait! \:\)

Sounds like a sweet itinerary...My problem with thailand is i've spent too much time in the cities. You'll have a sweet time in Laos and Cambodia and then down south on the islands.

So hotham is pretty terrible at the moment?

Avoid the hectic cities at all costs seems like the plan!

Hotham was fun but I wouldn't want to be going back since last weekend, they're pretty much running the resort on snowmaking. That said, although it was blue skies and sunny the days I was there it stayed pretty chilly so the snow was a lot better than I expected.. but by sunday it was warmer and melting really fast! If they don't get a few inches soon the resort will be in serious strife cause there are areas which got patches of mud and stones by the end of the day, and this year Hotham don't seem to have any piles of snow to move around!

I see you're from Perth snosurf! I visited for the first time a month ago, only drove through the city before going south but really enjoyed the place! I can see why there is a real estate boom. It's a shame you're so far from the snow resorts... well maybe not this year!

haha well i'm thinking of heading over east if the Dockers play a footy final this year (looks likely!). I was thinking maybe go up to Buller for a day or 2 if that's the case...do you think there'll be any snow left mid-late september? (I have an old board i can use so i don't mind about the rocks too much...)

Where did you go south in WA? Margaret River?

I don't like being pessimistic but unless Buller gets some decent snow within a couple of weeks they might as well close up! But their snowmaking is good, if they can sustain what is there now a couple of days on the old board would be fun! Keep an eye on the ski.com.au reports, especially the public ones.

Stayed in a beachhouse in Myalup, about 25 mins north (I think!) from Bunbury. It was really beautiful and great weather. I found a soft spot for exploring the bushland and dunes, great fun!

ahh well there's some snow on the way I hear. If the dockers play a home final in the first week and then head to melbourne in the 2nd week (~September 15) i'll definitely head up there for a couple of days, would love to get on the board again to hit a few rails and jibs if nothing else...

Thanks fir the info steve. Good luck with planning your trip, hope you get to japan 07!