TR: Back To Tateyama. Sunsets and of course a little Skiing

It seemed like last season I was in the Tateyama every other weekend through spring and summer. This year I didn't even get out there until mid June.

For a big snow year and it only being early June I was very sad to see that a lot of the lines had already melted out. There was lots of snow for the tourists to look at but most of the ski line are no longer skiable.

So what does one do when the run you came to ski wasn't skiable? Take pictures of sunsets, ski and spend 12 hours in the tent sleeping.

toque_301.jpg

toque_300.jpg

toque_299.jpg

I was able to easily ski off the summit of Tateyama at this time last year. I guess it's been a warm/wet spring.

toque_302.jpg

The top half of our run. There was a lot more snow to skiers right but a lot more snow doesn't really mean more fun. This line caught my eye right away after we found that we wouldn't be able to ski the S-Couloir.

Look close and you might see our tracks

toque_294.jpg

Jer

toque_293.jpg

toque_295.jpg

toque_296.jpg

We were going to ski a line on this face but around midnight it started raining and at time was quite heavy. By morning it had stopped but the thought of having to traverse under the rain soaked cornices stopped us from skiing.

I've wanted to ski a line on this face for a while. Maybe next weekend

toque_297.jpg

Are they the earthquake clouds in the run up to our quake this morning I wonder? ;\)

Nice photos! Great to see you are still gambatte-iru!

wow really cool to have an update and see how much snow has melted since i was up there in GW... quite a lot, especially right off that face and the top of o-yama itself.

looks like fun - ummmmm WHAT is up with those scenic sunset shots though?! eek.gif you losing your edge or something lol - getting lovy dovy now that you are leaving soon lol

so are ya coming up to party at nick's beanie?

I don't remember exactly where they skied

We were going to drop in off the leftern most summit when you look at that first picture

I don't know the names r45

They are just to the west of the Raichozawa tent area if you've even been in there

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
but that is in the area right?
Yah it's the same area
The mountains during April/May are usually plastered with snow
Once you ski the line you have to hike up a steep slope to regain the ridge
Of course if it was early enough in the season you could ski all the way out to a road far below

That wasn't what we were going to ski on Sunday

We were going to ski a line just lookers left of that

That is very much a line that I would have tried had I gotten into that area a little earlier though

toque here is what i think.

not rain but wind effected the snow. we had high winds alot this year and mabye the windward sides were thinner. also the last storms wouldnt have stuck up high so didnt. the leaward sides might be loaded with snow. just food for thought.

great pics, toque. good to see!

wow, can't believe how much snow has melted in the past month. that's surprising after all the snow that dumped this winter. easy come, easy go.