I'm interested to know how long it takes for people who are just starting to be able to progress into "powder skiing" as I've seen mentioned a few times. How long does it take and how do you make the gradual (sudden?) switch? Sorry if these are dumb sounding questions.. \:\)

A friend sent me this read which I found interesting. Agree?

---------

Powder is fresh Snow that is both dry and light. For most skiers, Skiing in Powder is the ultimate experience on the slopes. However, it entails different techniques and skills different from those used when Skiing in other conditions such as hardpack and groomed slopes. A delicate touch, equal weight distribution on your Skis, softer turns, and refined techniques are very essential in Powder Skiing. In this section, we will look at the important points you should know about Powder Skiing:

For others, Skiing in sheer Powder Snow Condition is the ultimate Skiing delight. However, some skiers encounter a lot of problems, making it hard for them to ski on Powder conditions. But do not despair. Just imagine the thrill and fun you will miss if you give up. In this section, we will look at the different exercises worth-doing to improve your Skiing skill in Powder:

Exercise 1

When skiing in Powder, your objective must be to shift the center of gravity backward and over your heels. Bend lower, keeping your upper body upright. Distribute your weight equally on your two feet. You are in the correct position if your toes are slightly touching the top interior of your Ski Boots.

Exercise 2

It is very important to gain control and confidence when making turns. Here are two drills which can really help you when making a turn in segments and slowing down and having control at the end of the turn:

In making a turn in segments, ski on a very shallow traverse. Bend your hips and then plant your Ski Pole and make an extension around the Ski Pole and ski down the fall- line. Flex your hips again and plant the other Ski Pole as you bring your Skis to the fall- line. Extend up around your Ski Pole, rolling your feet as well as your ankles as you go on your way to the hill. When you turn up the hill, plant the other Ski Pole and start a turn in the other direction.

To slow down and gain control at the end of each turn, execute a turn and begin steering your Skis to stop. But before you come to a stop, make your Skis flat then turn the Tips of Skis in the direction of the fall-line and gather some speed. After that, execute a turn and ski up the hill then close to a stop. Flatten your Skis again and gather some speed in preparation for the next turn.

Exercise 3

The objective of this drill is to enhance your fore-aft stance. It also helps you develop the skill of floating in Powder while maintaining a good stance. In a tall and centered posture, go across an untracked slope with moderate pitch. Begin bouncing on both feet with a slow speed first, then gradually increasing your speed as you traverse. Continue bouncing and increase your speed as you go on your traverse until such time that your Skis feel springy.

Exercise 4

This Exercise will be very helpful when you decide to ski in Snow conditions that are deep and heavy and this will aid you in pulling your Skis out from the Snow. To punch through Powder, find a slope with untracked Powder. Begin a steep traverse then gather speed. Bend your hips lower and punch your outside hand, arm, and shoulder upward and into the direction of the downhill turn. Lower your hips as well as your arm when you are near the fall- line. Use the fall- line as your guide as to when you will start a new maneuver. When your Skis reach the fall- line, extend up then punch your outside hand, arm, and shoulder upward and somewhat into the direction of the downhill turn.

These are just some of the multitude of Drills or exercises that you can do to further improve your Powder Skiing skills. Doing these Drills can help you in avoiding common problems that skiers face when skiing in Powder.

i consider powder sking to be balanced. you want to have equal balance thus you use your whole foot.

you need to relax powder is hard if you fight it. Doing exercises will help with strength but actually sking it is what improves your technique.

powders key points.

dont lean back be centered

speed speed speed. snow creates friction you need to fight this with speed.

dont over turn, make nice complete turns but dont force it.

be dynamic when you unload (take the wieght off) the ski.

practice in easy powder or used powder.

have fun and dont worry if you fall, every fall brings you one step closer to your goal.

yep! And then trying to stand up when buried in deep powder is the pits! I can't say for sure, but my impression is that it is even more of a bitch on a snowboard than on skis.

like ft gets at, the key is just doing it....your natural problem solving skills should get you threw it. thinking about it leads to frustration and bad style.

Thats actually just what I have found when trying to do things on my board beyond me..... too much thinking leads to me falling over/ lol.gif