i'm just curious, how important is having a car to you and your skiing habit?

i have found that not having one has been a real hinderance on me.

anyone else?

yep! Went without one for a couple of years, and because I don't live right in the snow it completely put a damper on going. Have one again and got up there a lot more this season thumbsup.gif

Are there other possibilities to get to the snow? ;\)

I always want to take at least 2 pairs of ski's and a helmet and gloves and everything. Just to be prepared for a bad day when a lot goes wrong. Then having a car is easy to carry all the extra stuff with you.

It also brings you to places where you normally won't go taking the train or bus and you are more flexible if you change your mind halfway the ride up (usually around Maebashi).

Essential. The train is good for day trips from Tokyo but anything else and you really need a car. Alos much more comfortable being able to take all the gear, food & beer you want. Even living in Yokohama with a good train service it's good to have a car. I don't use it to go to work everyday but it's good for late at night when there are no trains, and for getting to places where there are no trains (surprisingly quite a few places around here). I usually drive to the mountains to go hiking and stuff too but the only problem with that is you have to make sure you end up where you started!

i felt as such when i was living in canada. a car was essential. kinda sad when you consider that into the real price of this sport though.

aside from the access that a car provides, i find it really annoying to have to plan your day according to the train/bus schedule.

I've driven and owned cars since I was 16 in Canada. You have to own a car in Canada. It's just too big to get anywhere unless you live in the bigger cities which I didn't.

I lived without a car for my first year here but was lucky enough that my best friend could drive me to the ski hills. In the off season it limited where I could go though because I had to bus into all my hikes.

As is obvious a car opened many doors for me and now I can get into remote places to go skiing and hiking.

With a car comes other problems though. Just yesterday my car stalled and would not start again. I had to get a guy from the Autobacs to come help me. Turns out a little bit of air was getting into the sparkplugs and causing it to misfire. Now I though how to fix that problem.

And don't get me started on all the hidden costs a car brings mad.gif

yeah those hidden costs are a nightmare. it is much more expensive then what the price tag indicates. i once found i was working just for my car. it sucked, once i had the car i could no longer afford to really do the things i wanted with it because i had no time or money!!!!!

I just got a 35,000 yen bill for drivers or car insurance yesterday. Not sure which one it is.

I'm pretty sure I paid this when I got my shaken renewed though so we'll see if I have to pay it.

Yep, it is separate. I got mine today. The shaken tax is simply a tax the government applies on getting your car re-registered. The ones we are just getting are your actual yearly car tax. It was a rude shock for me when I got my first one too.

No no

Are you sure?

I'm going to have to check

When I went to a shop to get an estimate there was no 35,000 yen re-registration charge

But when I went to the prefectural auto place to do my shaken they added a car insurance on

Well I'm pretty sure that the tax charged in the shaken is a separate thing from the yearly car tax. Check and let us know anyway.

It's not a re-registration charge so much as just part of the tax involved in registering a car (doing shaken).

What do you mean by car insurance? You talking the compulsory 3rd party insurance??

I couldn't justify the cost of having one. Apart from snowboarding and other out of the city trips there is no need to really have one. If I really need to use one I can hire one for a weekend.

well, ive read a report somewhere that if you use a car less than 4 times a month (this would be a small make) - it would be cheaper to actually rent...

anything more than that - it would be advisable to buy.

basically, car tax here in japan is based on the length of time youve owned your car, and not on the mileage that youve used - from what i know (can anyone confirm this), you pay the same amount of shaken regardless if you drive everyday as a profession, or you only use it on the weekend trips.

you pay car tax on a yearly basis, based on the size of the engine. So a 2 L car is around 4 man. The shaken is the same. It is based on the engine size, and nothing else.