I've spent a couple of years riding the pistes in Japan, and I keep hearing and reading about how great it is to ride BC. But I'm not really sure where to start with this. For example, Kagura - everyone raves about it, but the groomed tracks suck. So, how would I get into the good stuff? Just wander off the piste? Some pointers for getting into this would be much appreciated!

I think this is a good question since we have all been at this point at one time (or will be).

1.do not wander offpiste!

2. take an avalanche awareness course

3. buy at the very least a beacon/probe/shovel, and depending on whether you're a boarder or skier, snowshoes or skins

4. find a bc buddy

I would start with a (bc) buddy. If you don't then you might not even need a beacon (no one will miss you, so maybe no search at all in case something bad happens).

Do you really want BC or just off-piste powder? If it is off-piste powder then go out and wander just slightly off the groomed stuff and get some practice. (Kagura has some easy tree-less off-piste possibilities).

No matter what you want to do off the groomers be sure to take an avalanche awareness course and practice with you beacon/probe/shovel as much as possible.

In BC do not follow tracks you don't know where they will take you! (I did that once and after 4 hours of hiking/traversing/cursing I finally made it back to the base station of the gondola.)

if you can ride in most conditions then just try to ride slightly off-piste or head to a resort where off-piste is allowed. If you are then intent on taking it up start buying gear it can get expensive very fast.

I would start hiking various stuff this summer to learn the terrain and develop your mountaineering skills. Look for places you can easily access from Tokyo, such as Tanigawa-dake, Tairappyo, etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by montoya:
I would start hiking various stuff this summer to learn the terrain and develop your mountaineering skills
Really good idea for everybody

All the places I've been into real backcountry besides Hakuba I've first gone into them in the summer or fall when there isn't any snow.

i would suggest the avy course before buying gear as you can usually rent equipment. This will give you an idea of what you like and what is good. I'm sure we've all got gear that we bought before trying and regretted it. I found i learned a lot about different beacons etc on my avy course and I found I didn't like some.

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
 Quote:
Originally posted by montoya:
I would start hiking various stuff this summer to learn the terrain and develop your mountaineering skills
Really good idea for everybody

All the places I've been into real backcountry besides Hakuba I've first gone into them in the summer or fall when there isn't any snow.
yeah but quite far for many of us to get to and do that...wish I had a car...

if you don't want to pay for a full avie course, i suggest you join a day tour (in english)...most usually don't require that much BC knowledge and the avie kit (beacon, probe, shovel, day pack) is usually included in the cost or can be rented.

you can also pick your guide's head for good equipment and recommendations.

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:

Tried that in Aus, place was covered in snow!

Good question TSB. Maybe in the next few years. I need at least a break, but not sure if it will be a permanent move back or not. I could see myself coming back up here again at some point.

I teach English in a private boys school. By teach, I mean I teach my own classes including oral communication classes and writing classes. I set tests, exams, all that stuff. So is that "teaching" or teaching? You tell me. ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:

let alone you couldnt even teach your boys how to wank properly :p lol.gif
The way you phrase that implies that you can and do?!
shifty.gif

Anyway, back on topic. I pretty much started off riding in the trees rather than anywhere open or really BC. Get a helmet if you're gonna do that though.