Thinking of breaking the piggy bank to buy some new BC equipment. I know there are quite a few BC buffs out there (Montoya, Toque, Fattwins, etc...), so hoping to get some suggestions:

The back-pack:

Was thinking of the Backcountry Access Stash BC rider. But it seems to have a few cons: Pricey, does not fit large frames very well (I'm 6'3), the water hose does not deliver properly (only trickling, not for people with ravenous thirst or they'll have to take the gloves off, and use the tubing as a straw, which defats the purpose). If anybody owns this one, would appreciate their comments/feeback. Any proposed alternative would be welcome. Otherwise I can always use a 100 HK$ simple knock-off pack fallen off the back of a truck).

Shovel:

Plastic is out of the question, D handle preffered. Looking for suggestions offering a good combo with regards to price/weight/strength.

Probe:

Some are ridiculously short. Looking for ones over 2m, but I can't believe how bloody expensive it is for a simple probe. Once again looking for suggestions with regards to price/weight.

Beacon: Pieps DSP it is.

If anybody is aware of good combos on the net, please let me know.

Also where would you go in Tokyo for BC stuff?

Thanks.

Here are some shops in Tokyo:

Largo (Shinjuku)

http://www.largo99.com/

Calafate (Mejiro)

http://www.calafate.co.jp/

Kojitsu (Shinjuku)

http://www.kojitu.co.jp/

Ishii Sports (Shinjuku, Jinbocho)

http://www.ici-sports.com/

Sakaiya (Jinbocho)

http://www.sakaiya.com/

Largo and Calafate are smallish but friendly, the others are larger shops. Largo is mostly about snowboards, Calafate's focus is on telemark.

I use an Osprey Switch backpack, it is ok though a bit heavy. Definitely sturdy enough to carry a snowboard. Though if I wanted to shave grams I'd get something else. I'll let others comment about rest of the gear.

In this forum there are more threads on this topic. So try to find it with "search".

Backpack: fit is very important, make sure it fits properly. Don't buy in on the net if you haven't had it on your back before.

Why not buy a backpack plus a separate camelbak. Just make sure that after you take a sip, to clear the tube this way your water doesn't freeze.

Currently I have a Da Kine Heli-Pro. This is a great backpack.

Burton has some good one's.

Shovel: What is wrong with plastic? I had an Ortovox before and it worked great. Now I have a BC companion (with D grip) and it is so much heavier. the only advanage is that it has an integrated short probe (200cm). Actually 240 should be the minimum you are looking for.

Have a look at backcountr.com they usually have some good offers.

The Osprey Switch won an award this year with Backpacker mag. I think it was the biggest version used for camping.

I've got the middle one (25+5). The plus five is the hydration pack. The main straps are attached to it and it can be used as a wearable hydration pack on its own if you like mountain biking or other sports. Note that it doesn't come with a bladder or tube. The pack itself spreads out the weight very well. You can carry skis on the back, diagonally across the back, or one on each side. All of the edge contacting parts are well reinforced. My shovel and probe fit in the middle pocket on the back.

Stick with a ‘pack making’ company would be my advice. Da Kine is awesome value for money and a very functional pack, Osprey is also very popular and of good quality, the maker of the Denali guide pack (sorry I can’t think of their name) is generally considered the industry standard, but at their price it would have to be great. The Japanese distributor of Spyder has from this season started importing a pack, which is made in Canada, and they have the US military contract. Very light, tough, functional and not a bad price either. If you want a contact for that email me off the forum and I will put you in touch. He is in Jackson from the 31st for 10 days though. The BC Access shovel probe combo is a bit heavier but its convenience more than compensates for that. Whilst I don’t think much of their packs I find I am usually leaving my Black Diamond shovel and probe at home in favour of the BC Access. 1.8-2m? Yeah, it’s definitely the minimum but statistically anyone buried more than a meter down is usually ‘brown bread’. If you have not already bought a beacon the BC Access beacon would be my recommendation for what it’s worth. I don’t want to get into a discussion about what’s better because I think it’s the user that determines the effectiveness of the beacon but I strongly favour it as it clearly has the shortest learning curve. Last year I was doing a job for a magazine and two of their staff had the Ortovox F1 (excellent beacon also) and the other person had a BC Access. I decided to do some beacon work with them as the weather had intervened with other plans. The Ortovox users really struggled and required quite a lot of tuition, the BC Access user was on the case straight away. They all had the same amount of experience – which if the truth be known amounted to ‘if I have a beacon, well I must be okay’; never actually taking the time to learn how to use it.

Hope that helps and enjoy your shopping – it’s always great buying new ‘toys’.

Thanks to all for the very useful feedback.

Montoya, I have checked the websites you mentionned. Largo seems to have pretty good selection for a small place. If they are friendly it is an added bonus as well. I'll have to go and check it out. Seems the Osprey packs are pretty popular among people using this forum.

Sanno, Plastic is light but does not seem (according to what I have read) to have the necessary 'resistance' (cannot think of a better word) if you have to dig some compact blocks of snow (I guess might not be able to find anybody left unshredded in that type of slide, but...). Yet again some brands with plastic might be stronger than others, and that being said, I have never tried to dig through frozen block with one of those. Hmmmm, still perplexed on that one. Will have to give it more thought. Your choice for the BC Access seems like a good one: D handle, Alu, probe inside, fairly light. A bit pricey and the probe a bit short at 1.8m, but guess cannot have the best of everything. You are probably right about the straw. Just saw one review complaining, guy probably did not do what you recommended. By the way, are those plastic spoons sticking out of your eye sockets? ;\)

Wiggles san, the Osprey 25+5 looks like a neat versatile little pack. Was surprised to see that skis could be strapped to that little puppy. Very Sleek and not too pricey. I will probably look at a slightly bigger pack. Appreciate the feedback though.

bcoasis, thanks for the very detailed answer. You seem to be really tuned up to the latest developments in those winter back-packs. I agree, the Dakine packs seem to offer great value for money and generally seem to have a very well thought-out no-nonsense designs. Sanno seems to be happy with his as are many people who have posted reviews. I think I will skip on the canadian pack imported by spyder. Sounds like a fantastic pack but seems hard to get by, probably pricey as well. Appreciate the offer though. I agree with you with regards to the probe length vs the ease of having a combo shovel together. Looks like I am going to end up going with the BC Access combo. As for the beacon, the Pieps is very similar to the BC Access (they were the first one to come out with a digital beacon I believe). Digital as well (easy to use) slightly longer range and 3 antennas to help out in multiple burials situations. Slightly more pricey but seems like worth the difference.

Thanks Slow. funny you mentionned that 'cos I just realized that this morning as well when I saw a post by crazyski (think was the hokkaido by ferry one). I know, a bit confusing. Thinking about changing (not that I do not like it or do not like having the same one as Crazyski), but always a pain to find a decent one! Any suggestions for good avatar websites? Was thinking to have my own pic as my avatar, but I do not have my own website to store it there so that I can link to it. I wonder, can we save our avatar as part of our profile, or can we only link to it from another website?

Osprey Ceres 50

Anyone used it to carry either gear in the mountains or a snowboard?

I am wondering if the loops on the bottom of the pack are big enough for a 3 man tent (sierra Designs Alpha).

As an extra - what's the big deal with Camelbacks etc when drinking water inevitably leads to PISS STOPS anyway! - please excuse my ignorance.

Personaly I like to mark my territory in artistic fashion. More seriously, if you're thirsty, whether you get it from a vending machine, from a bottle in your bag or from a tube right in front of your mouth, you're still gonna drink. So may as well get it from the most convenient source, especially if it is knee-deep, being tracked-out and you do not want to waste time. If you do not drink that often during the day, then I guess you would see few advantages to those camelbacks n the likes. It is a personal choice.

Hmm, gonna add my 2 yen...I'd definitely try on as many packs as you can and don't just buy for price on the internet. Fit and function is everything. A great cheap pack that doesn't suit your needs with extra crap you don't need is wasted space and weight or worse, not enough. But fit is first. Especially if you are going to be skiing with it for many hours, days, weeks years, it will be your lifeline so choose carefully.

Shovels/probes...sure aluminum is usually stronger than plastice but there are plenty of great plastic shovels..Lifelink and Ortovox come to mind. Go for function, then weight. I personally don't like the BC combo shovel/probe because 1)it's too heavy but mainly, I like separate longer probes. When you need them you need them quick as every second counts if you're looking for a friend and having to disassemble your shovel to get your probe is a waste of time. But it's really a matter of preference and practice. I just like to carry them separate that's all. IF you have to use it, your probe will be wasted when your done anyway but length is key.

Beacons-I prefer the Ortovox M2 but it's also really matter of preference and practice too. I've got friends that swear by the Tracker...just get one that is proven and practice, practice, practice.

The best advice is to obviously study and practice so you don't ever HAVE to use all this gear...then you can go lighter, have more fun, and ski another day...but please TRY ONE THE PACKS FIRST! Go to the store and play with everything...take everything apart, use it, test everything. A good shop will encourage you to do this. Good luck

Teledude, thanks for the advice. I agree, length is important. Interesting point you brought out with regards to how long is takes to assemble the probe especially when we know how steep the death curve is when somebody is trapped under the snow. As you say, practice is very important. I will try to do that when I have a chance. By the way, I remember that somebody via this forum last year had organized an avalanche awareness / training program. Can't remember who it was. Will keep an eye out to see if it takes place again. Agree with Bcoasis as well, amen to what you said.

• 2 weeks later...
lol.gif yes, I had it coming! I may stretch it to put a rope in there, but that's it, no more after that. The minimum diameter for a rope strong enough to handle the weight of a person is such that depending on the length it can add quite a few grams to that pack. Should I get a harness as well ??? ;\)

As far as rope diameter I would suggest maybe a 9 or 8.5 mm. As for the length maybe 20 meters. Unless your doing some real mountaineering I would not carry a full length rope of 50 meters. Two sections of 5 or 6 mm 3meters for some prussic knots may also come in handy. Along with a few carabineers. These items come in hand if you have to self extract out of a crevase or a hole. I know i would be hard prsssed to be able to pull someone who weights 200lb out of a hole with out the use of some pulleys to equalize the weight.

Ok Sanno, Quattro, so harness that I wear to impress the chicks \:D (maybe the start of a new fashion), 9mm rope... By the way Quattro, you seems to know your knots, u a moutain climber as well? all this is starting to add up. What do you guys carry when you go in the BC. Do you carry the same if you're in a resort so find some stashes a bit out of the way?

Anybody got some avalung to go with it.

?

They also have some pack that looks like a parachute, you pull on the rip cord and some giant red ballon comes out to keep you afloat in a slide. How do you call that, I forgot? So much gear and so much money, these companies' marketing campaigns are really doing a good job.

When I was a kid, in the BC we had none of that stuff and we still survived quite well. All we had was skins and common sense...

There is a report that Orthvox DSP interfears with Japan Keitai frequencies. If you haven't pucheased it already, I'd suggest to find more about it. All I heard was the guy at Largo told me about it.

Probes are not that expensive

I have seen the BD guide probe for well under 10,000

And 3 metres should be the general length you want to carry. Espcially in Japan where we get these huge snowpacks. Good for judging snow depth, probing your landing, probing your camping spot and also probing where you are going to dig your pit.

I am not a fan of the camel backs and drink like a fish when I am hiking. I also end up pissing every 5 minutes as well. But I find the platepus bags ice up after a while if your not careful. Also I have seen some of them open up inside the bag drenching everything. Just my 2 cents.

Shovels I would go metel. Like was said earlier once the debris ices up you will have a really tough time digging whatever out whatever your trying to dig. And a shaft extension is good to get more leverage and not tire your back out on the really big digs.

Thanks IM and Toque for the comments. Got the DSP already, will let you know if any problems. My Keitai already sucks big time already anyway (will not mention the carrier...). Probe, got a dinky 1.80m one for now, the 3m black diamond may be my next investment, but probably next season, already broke. Shovel, most agree with metal. Got extendable shaft (no pun intended), D handle. Bloody expensive toys..