TR: Yakedake Late Season Powder and Heavy Mush

7 of us went up 2460 metre Yakedake on the border of Gifu and Nagano on Saturday April 22. Yakedake is at the south end of the North Alps. I'm not sure if it is actually in the North Alps proper as it is a lone volcano outside of the main Alps range and as a volcano is geologically different. The mountain sits over top of route 158 and is just north of Norikura.

We found about 20-30 cms of heavy wet snow down low and nice buttery powder up high on the north facing slopes of the little crater

From the forums there was Fattwins, AK77, and Toque

Great time

Gillagen (FT) with Dan nipping at his heals

toque_226.jpg

Wes, Will and AK77

toque_215.jpg

Mother nature playing some jokes

toque_218.jpg

Final bit of wind blasted snow to the top. Hakusan is in the background on the other side of Hida Gifu.

toque_219.jpg

Cool double layer of clouds on Kasa. That large gully coming down below is where the 3 mountaineers and 1 skier were killed in an avy a couple weeks ago. Access Kasa from ShinHotaka.

toque_220.jpg

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:

I really liked yakedake a great work out! I know cause im still feeling it in my legs.
It's a fun mountain eh
I wish we had had more time to do some laps in the bowl
I would have liked to ski that straightline right next to the one you hit
But I had to pull the plug. I just made my enkai.

A few pictures from Dan

Jer fell into a hole. What up with us and holes???????

toque_227.jpg

FT and I on the windy summit. Hotaka peaks in the background

toque_229.jpg

FT edging into his first line. I couldn't take pictures of this as I was in the clouds beyond.

toque_230.jpg

And myself skiing out in the big bowl. Low angle mushy turns thumbsup.gif

toque_228.jpg

Thany you to those who made that trip possible (although no thanks from my legs which are dead!) it was a good one - sorry to the advance party on skins who had to wait for the snowshoers to yomp it up there - it was hard work! But worth it for the views and lines available at the top -if only legs weren't jelly by the time i got there, thanks to the new snow!

My line was fun but for sure is the easiest one up there. Looks like I was moving fast thumbsup.gif in the first picture and then really slow in the second thumbsdown.gif

I would have for sure stepped up the second line but if I had gone for a second run then everybody else would have wanted a second one and I was really close on time as it took us all a lot longer to get to the summit than we originally thought due to deep snow and Jer getting lost in his own backyard