Yup

Here it comes

All of our pictures

I spent 15 days in Hakuba and ended up skiing 11 of them. 9 of those days were earn you turns while 2 of them were resort powder skiing days.

It was sick. The snow was way better than I could have imagined for most of the days. I skied every type of snow from waste deep pow to rain saturated crap.

From the forums I skied with Fattwins, Creekboy, Kumapix and Dizzy.

Sorry I couldn't get out with you on your tour Sockmonkey and the frozen Tunas. You guys are a fun bunch.

And now the pictures

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

March 17, 2006

FT and I skinned to the top of Hakuba Norikura and had an interesting run down the south face. The snow wasn't powder, wasn't corn and wasn't isothermic crap. But the run was fun and set the stage for the rest of my vacation

9500 yen gets you dropped off at treeline by helicopter. You can then hike your out-of-shape ass to the top of Hakuba Norikura in 1-2 hours.

Of course you could also skin up from the top of the ski hill and be on the summit in less than 90 minutes.

toque_170.jpg

Raicho near the top of Hakuba Norikura

toque_172.jpg

FT and I on top of Hakuba Norikura. So many lines to ski in the background.

toque_171.jpg

March 25, 2006

FT came back to Hakuba with CB a week later for their spring vacation. I heckled FT enough that he got out of work on the saturday so we could ski a line off of Karamatsu above Happo-One. We skied the line just right of centre

toque_175.jpg

I've fallen and I can't get up. FT slipped on some ice and I had to help him get back up again. :rolleyes:

toque_176.jpg

The ridge got steep near the top and we had to get the crampons and axes out.

toque_178.jpg

Our high point of the trip. Tsurugidake is the rocky peak on the right. Tateyama is just behind FT's giant melon

toque_177.jpg

Our line. My tracks on the right with FT's on the left. Really fast snow and about 45 degrees up top. From the top you couldn't tell that the line went because of the rock outcrop in the middle.

toque_181.jpg

FT rippin it on the lower slopes

toque_179.jpg

FT

toque_180.jpg

The good weather held so on March 27 FT and I went out to check to the North Face of Hakuba Norikura that we had been hearing so many good things about.

FT skinning across some shrubs. It was really windy up high.

toque_192.jpg

From the top it was easy to spot this line. Getting to it was a little difficult though with the massive cornice. I had to direct FT in to the top of the ridge. That's him for scale. We didn't end up skiing it because we couldn't see the runout.

toque_191.jpg

So instead we skied this beauty

toque_188.jpg

FT on his way down. Again good dry and fast snow.

toque_186.jpg

toque_187.jpg

And then it was my turn in front of the camera

toque_184.jpg

toque_185.jpg

Because we had dropped off the north face of Hakuba Norikura we had to skin out of the bowl. On the way out we passed this really nice looking run. Couldn't just leave it untouched so...

FT

toque_182.jpg

toque_183.jpg

My tracks on the left. FTs on the right

toque_190.jpg

Yeah! I got into the write up! Thanks again Toque for the awesome day (and for putting up with my slow ass)

awesome pics! I really like the 2 of FT coming down that face you chose instead of by the cornice.

Great photos! It looks like just rewards for some sweat.

Looking forward to some earned turns too... next season all my bc gear is in sea-mail transit until May.

My report on the events as they happened.

Toque and i were shut out the first time that we went for karamatsu. I think that was for the best really. I wasnt prepared for the icy ridge, and toques foot wasnt really ready for that type of desent. So up and on we went and we bagged that chute for first tracks. It was the run of my season to get that chute in pristine condition. A lot of pole banging and yelling by toque and myself.

So confidence grew and we started to go bigger pushing into te north area of norikura. People if you do this it is a long way out. it is not really a snowboarding tour unless you can find the gullie into the north area of norikura. if you cant expect 8 hours at least of hiking and that is in easy conditions. again sickness all a round, great freaking bottomless powder on every run except the bottom. Even the bottom produced some sick spring snow that was prefect.

So that takes care of toques pics so here are mine.

We had plans on doing the north trees between tsugaike and norikura. The plan got killed pretty fast as the wind was just killer strong. At the top of the ridge Toque and I were pretty disorientated. At that point Toque called a meeting and we re-thought our plan. The North facing stuff was taken off the plan and a new plan was put into place. We would ski the south facing trees and retreat to the safty of the resort. That was the best plan without a gps heading, in white-out conditions and cliffs to fall off of if we made a mistake.

So I got an early chance to test my new camera.

cb showing us that niseko cant make you a better skier but nagano can.

fattwins_32.JPG

cb punching away niseko

fattwins_33.JPG

chest shots ala nagano style

fattwins_34.JPG

cb in pow pow land

fattwins_35.JPG

sickness cb stay in heaven and dont go to auzzie land north

fattwins_36.JPG

sick sick sick...looks like you knocked off some dope stuff...these shots are helping me threw hours of Photoshop batch processing...please keep it coming. more pow!

jealouse

On another day in a galaxy far far away we hit the meadows. 40 degrees of pure bliss. the trees are tight at the top and it keeps most unwanted souls out. these photos are my favorite from this trip.

Toque killing it im just going to post the pics cause they say enough.

fattwins_24.JPG

fattwins_25.JPG

fattwins_26.JPG

fattwins_27.JPG

fattwins_28.JPG

same area this time cb. I have to say big guy I think that going to Niseko to ski is a mistake. You wont ever get a run like this there. perfect snow perfect pitch, perfect in every way. You have improved so much that Niseko will bore the crap out of you now. I can understand that you want to see your mates, but this is what ill be sking when you are on the 25 degree pitches there. cb killing the meadows good on yeah bro.

fattwins_37.JPG

fattwins_38.JPG

fattwins_39.JPG

fattwins_40.JPG