• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well SM

How was your trip?

Jer, Davo and I went up that ridge above Happo to ski a short south face and were nearly blown off the ridge by gail force winds. Wasn't the spring snow we were expecting

I sent him a mail mate you gotta tell him that im not gonna get angry at him. I would have been happy to just get a bag later than to have him buy something too expensive. He is one of the nicest guys I have ever known

Davo above Happo on the weekend. Just about ready to freeze our asses off when the wind picked up

toque_159.jpg

Jer nearing our drop in point. Easy to see how windy it was with the snow blowing everywhere

toque_160.jpg

That was the North Face and we did a Sth facing bowl. Yep O11 a huge crown and the run-out is pretty much endless, I hope whoever set it off was able to ride it out safely. We chose not to go down the North side yesterday, this being one reason. I'd say there were plenty of safe routes down there but the above slide just demonstrates the potential for trouble.

My contribution to the discussion is that you'd better be damn sure the conditions are safe as before you go plowing straight down the guts of an aspect like that.

Sweet day out yesterday Touque-cheers.

That's a north face just above Happo-one. That picture was taken from just above the top chair.

Yah it looks like a snowboarder skied onto the face and then as soon as he hit the rollover it triggered. I wouldn't call it massive but it is scary. Maybe 30cms deep but it looks like it ran a long ways. The rain layer from Wednesday was really slick under the new snow

We didn't ski any north faces at Happo and anything that we slid wasn't fracturing like that. Just lots of sluff.

The girl were cracking up at my friend and his stories about going to the New Japan Sauna in Umeda, which he insists is not a pinku establishment. She was hobbling about quite bit so I think she took quite a tumble.

No snowshoes and I think most of the time I've been hiking they'd have been a hinderence more than anything else. Would still like to get some though-at times they're essential.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Skiers ought to love snowboarders for their willingness to check out the safety of bowls for them, eh.
It was strange that this actually slid
Because the day before we saw a load of people skiing high alpine lines with no movment at all while we were in the trees setting off big sluff slides just traversing slopes

Further along the ridge in the above picture we also saw 3 skiers ski a line on the same North East aspect that didn't move at all

The run the boys did was far from extreme. a nice 30 to 35 degree meadowish bowl with a huge run out that you can lap up on a good day. kinda like tengupara cb but way better lines, and 0 trees.

The weekend was strange Im just glad we didnt push the limit really and stayed smart. I dont think we wouldve be buried but loss of gear or tree crash were likely events.

It goes all the way down to the valley floor, so if it were a big slab fracture it could go huge. There's a good reason why there are no trees in these areas, that is, massive slides in the past. This one wasn't so big, in terms of snow volume, but it was big enough. I've seen it down to the dirt up there at times.