Womens half pipe - most of them were rubbish

Did anyone else feel that the quality of the womens half pipe in the Olrinpikkusu were pretty rubbish?

The majority of the finalists didn't seem to be able to put together a decent run. Apart from a few, it was frankly rubbish.

I'm sorry, just not good enough.

I disagree. All of the finalists deserved to be there. Yes, half of them fell, but what do you expect? With the talent of the Americans, the rest of the field knew that if they didn't push their limits they wouldn't place. So they went for it and it didn't work out. Look at Kelly Clark (the gold medal winner at Salt Lake), she fell in the final because she had to better Teter's high score, but no one can say that she sucks.

I would say though that you could have told about a third of the entire field to stay home. The 2 russians in particular were embarrassing. They could barely airturn, let alone get higher than the lip.

Quote:
Yes, half of them fell, but what do you expect?
Well I expect finalists in an Olympic event to be able to actually be very competent at their chosen event. Some of them looked like they were practising @47.

Perhaps my expectations are too high.....

No thanks.

But that doesn't really make the spectacle of most of them being shite any better though does it??

I just thought that half pipe last night was a semi-joke.

I suggest they all simply improve!

I still say that the girls in the final were not 'shite'. I would rather see the Dutch girl catch the lip and fall going for it on a big air than watch Yamaoka landing everything with only a foot of air.

but whatever, you didn't like it so there's nothing I can say to convince you otherwise.

I was thinking the same Brit-gob apart from the top 4-5 the others were pretty ordinary, that said I cant ride it the pipe to save my life I know its hard.

I dont get it, female figure skaters are awesome they can do all the same moves as the guys and are very graceful.

Freestyle skiers -aerials, the ladies rock there pulling great stunts.

gymnasts - females are awesome, graceful and athletic.

What is with the half pipe and the huge gap between the sexes?

Is a lack of opportunties? lack of competition pushing them to guy higher?, lack of prize money in comps? lack of practice?

Ha ha ha!

Actually, i liked the Womens comp better than the men`s. Yeah, there were a few that couldn`t air above the lip (WTF?) but that is also nerves, i think. Alot of the compeditors were pretty young.

I was really impressed with a lot of them. I remember trying to learn McTwists, and i was severely impressed with the height and style of a few of the ladies.

Is it just me though, or is the Japanese game plan `Go big and fall`? It seems like thats what almost every Japanese kid did in at least one run. And then it cuts to a shot of Rio Tahara who is watching the event. Which is funny, because that guy is famous for going big and crashing. But it was nice to see that even after they crashed, (I hope Mero is not too badly injured) they didn`t throw fits on the ground like that Narita kid. I have to disagree with some of the posts, it was ot very sportsman-like. Its friggin snowboarding anyways, not golf. Get over yourself. But the ladies handled it really well.

But all in all, sick riding. I disagree with the majority of the posts, i liked it. Things heated up after the first qualifier, when evetybody got their shitty runs out of the way and could relax a little.

And OH MY GOD (yes Bacchus, thats you), Kelly Clark was boosting out sausage-sized airs in her last run until she crashed. HUGE spins. And that Norwiegen girl? Massive Cripller 7 for her last hit? I had to wear a chinstrap to keep my jaw from dropping every time i saw her ride. Same goes for Hannah Teter.

And the americans ruled it, rightly so. Oh, except for the French Girl, Dorianne Vidal. 29 years old, and still ruling. The smoothest, most stylish pipe rider out there. Alot of the guys could take lessons from her, especially japanese kids that just grab, but don`t put that extra tweak in there.

All in all, a very satisfying experience.

(I wish there were some more handplants though, and that the canadians did better. Mercedes Nicol gets best trick for the Suitcase air she did after she fell in the qualifyers)

Considering that the americans could have sent 10 girls there that could have broken the top 20 things didnt go that bad. The rest of the world is still catching up and the american and Canadian resorts make the best half pipes to train in. I frankly thought that the Canadians would have done much better than they did. i dont think any even came close to breaking into the top 12. The Auzzie girl was doing great on her first run then on the second she straight aired the whole thing. she went big but she lost her nerve and you aint gonna beat top girls by straight airing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
agreed. I didnt get to see the mens though \:\( sounded like it was good.

anybody know any links where we can watch that on the net? I doubt shite NHK would show it again.
http://www.mininova.org/tor/224776

this torrent is the Day 1 highlights, but the pipe was day 2 wasnt it? oh well its highlights anyway from Canadian TV I Believe.

I don't normally watch half pipes, but I guess that's the nature of the event. Go big rather than packing it in safely like in many other sports with judges. Kinda makes sense with the whole park culture, etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by frannyo:
No thanks. But that doesn't really make the spectacle of most of them being shite any better though does it?? I just thought that half pipe last night was a semi-joke. I suggest they all simply improve!
Ditto on that - with perhaps the exception of Laddie White, I've seen kids at resorts with more talent.

Do they have a GS or Slalom Snowboarding event e.g. hardboots and mountain boards going full-throttle? That WOULD be exciting to watch. (Boarder Cross is pretty iffy as a spectator event - all push and shove and too short.)